How long do you wait to get gas?

Wife wanted to go to Costco. I'm not going into that mess so I'm watching cars line up for gas. For some reason our Costco gas is not any cheaper than other stations around town.

The line is 8 wide at the pumps and then goes down to 2 lines, down the street, around a corner etc! So if each car takes 5 minutes people will be willing to wait an hour or more?

Not me lol.

Peaktimes could be about 20 minutes, maybe a touch more.

Seems Costco employs attendants no matter where you are.

Sometimes it is closer to 5... have to time the time of day you go.

I go to Costco when it's not busy and am retired and able to select my fill up time. Costco is about 3 miles away and I rarely have to wait more than 4 or 5 minutes to fill up. Costco is $3.99 per gallon or has been the last week or two. Plus, I use my Citi Costco card and obtain a 4 cent per gallon savings which is paid at the end of the card date every year. My truck holds 36 gallons and it's worth the wait.

Wife wanted to go to Costco. I'm not going into that mess so I'm watching cars line up for gas. For some reason our Costco gas is not any cheaper than other stations around town.

The line is 8 wide at the pumps and then goes down to 2 lines, down the street, around a corner etc! So if each car takes 5 minutes people will be willing to wait an hour or more?

Not me lol.

And I wonder how many of those people are idling with the A/C blasting all the while they're waiting? Total false economy. I'll try to save money elsewhere.

Too many variables involved to come up with a definitive answer.
It's all situational.

No lines here. But I'm am not driving near commuter road filling stations after 4 pm.

Still I witness abundant, careless, selfish stupidity. I see people in their cars with windows up, engine running, AC cranking, playing on their phone for 20 mins before they wake up and "remember" to go into the grocery store to buy groceries.
70 degrees out - sweltering !

I have calculated that in retirement I have used 254 gal. of gasoline per year ave over the past three years.

So, no terribly big deal, I absorb handle the $500 annual hit.

- Ken

No lines here. But I'm am not driving near commuter road filling stations after 4 pm.

Still I witness abundant, careless, selfish stupidity. I see people in their cars with windows up, engine running, AC cranking, playing on their phone for 20 mins before they wake up and "remember" to go into the grocery store to buy groceries.
70 degrees out - sweltering !

I have calculated that in retirement I have used 254 gal. of gasoline per year ave over the past three years.

So, no terribly big deal, I absorb handle the $500 annual hit.

- Ken
Yup, Don't venture out after 4pm, no need. Camry has about a 14 gallon tank and I try not to have to put more than 12 gallons in before it clicks off. There isn't a gas shortage, there's a price hike, is all. The Fridge has less than 60 kmiles on it and I bought with about 18K on it already. I stick to my own little paradise as much as I can

I usually gas up at night and hardly ever have to wait, though I don't get near runnning the tank dry so if I were to have to wait more than one car in front of me at the pump, I'd just swing by later. This is at Krogers, where I get fuel point discounts and am going anyway for groceries.

My nearby Costco is 5 miles away, my nearby Arco is about 1 mile away, they are usually "about" the same price (less than 10c difference usually), and my car gets 40mpg (hybrid), so the choice is obviously not Costco.

Some of y'all don't mind this.. that hose stretching across some part of paint... or glass... that hose is dirty dirty.. and has tension.. on large vehicles I'd go to correct side.

I'm getting gas now, so. 6 minutes..

Screenshot_20220524-174619_Gallery.jpg
20220524_174758.jpg

Not me lol.

Many of the same guys that wait an hour at costco to save a nickel say they cant possibly wait 15 minutes to charge an electric car.

Fifteen minutes to charge an electric car ? :unsure:

Ha!

That's been my counter on electrical vehicles whenever that comes up.

Usually, if you charge something faster (higher amps?) the charge won't last as long... how, HOW, can car batteries be different?

That is yet another reason I gas up in the very early morning hours. During the peak hours during the day I'll see cars parked at the pump with no one inside, while the drivers are inside the store, "shopping".

Once I pulled in when the place was packed, ( I got the last remaining open pump), went inside and paid, and filled both of my truck tanks, (30+ gallons total), went back in, got my change, came out, and the same car was still sitting there unattended.

Finally, while I was pulling out, the woman was getting in carrying a bagful of crap she bought inside. I don't know if she even got gas. If she did, it must have slipped her mind to move her vehicle. Instead of letting it sit there, tying up the pump for all that time.
My go to station has some road crew that hangs out there when I’m on my way to work. 5:30 or so. 3 flat bed F750’s, a couple F150’s. They aren’t getting gas. Just sitting there waiting on their other co workers to arrive.

This happens multiple times. One guy actually confronted me for “parking too close.” The hose hardly made it.

Back