How long do you let your oil drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty much let it drain until the stream turns to drips, no waiting for the drips to become very slow. I'm not interested in getting out that last few tablespoons of oil. No need to be OCD about it.

I generally only use the car about once a week so I'm not usually under any quick-change pressure.

If I was in a hurry, I'd hurry.

I'm not so I may as well leave it a long time. No loss even if the gain is tiny.

Special case, then. But hardly anyone uses their car overnight so I can't see the reason for the prevailing hustle.

Afraid someones going to steal your front wheels while its jacked up?
Want to be at full readiness for the zombie apocalypse?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I generally only use the car about once a week so I'm not usually under any quick-change pressure.

I'm not so I may as well leave it a long time. No loss even if the gain is tiny.

Special case, then. But hardly anyone uses their car overnight so I can't see the reason for the prevailing hustle.

Exactly. People die in their sleep. I want to finish the job and button everything up before I retire for the night. There is no gain at all trying to get that last few drops of dirty oil out.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What, nobody starts their engine to aid the draining process?

Well well... I'll be. You and I are in agreement here ZZ. I'm am like you in this. Soon as it is dripping.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I pretty much let it drain until the stream turns to drips, no waiting for the drips to become very slow. I'm not interested in getting out that last few tablespoons of oil. No need to be OCD about it.

Same here. I grew up in and again live in a breezy area. No desire for drips to be blown all over the place. Dipstick doesn't show overfilled after I put the OM quantity of fresh oil in, start it, shut it off, and check it.

Originally Posted By: old1
I drive my car up on ramps, so can't really change it COLD, so I drive it for a couple miles and then put it on the ramps and drain it till it is down to a slow drip. The thing I hate most on my fusion, is the stupid cover under the engine that takes more time and work to R&R than the rest of the oil and filter change.

I put my vehicles up on ramps the night before, then change oil & oil filter at ambient temperature the next day, to the horror of some here. Same with transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Exactly. People die in their sleep. I want to finish the job and button everything up before I retire for the night. There is no gain at all trying to get that last few drops of dirty oil out.

He died with his drain plug off? The HORROR!

The gain in trying to get that last few drops of dirty oil out, is that you get that last few drops of dirty oil out.

You can try in your sleep.

Even if you're dead.

So it isn't very onerous.

He died getting the last few drops out doesn't sound too bad (fnar fnar).

Until it drips. Hot on most cars except my truck where I HAVE to touch the exhaust manifold to get the filter out.

Originally Posted By: deven
Im anal. I jack up the car opposite to the plug to get the most oil out and I let it drain for about 5 days. I get the best results this way. My UOA's show less iron wear when I let it drain for 5 days. If I only drain for 4 days my iron wear spikes 3 fold so I gotta follow the UOA's....

6 days. Don't be in such a rush.

"7 days, man!! 7's the magic number!!"
"Wait, what about 8 days?"
"....STEP INTO MY OFFICE!!!"

The gain in trying to get that last few drops of dirty oil out, is that you get that last few drops of dirty oil out.

Even if you're dead.

If I die in my sleep, it will be devastating to my wife. No need to compound that with her car being undriveable. And yes, I seriously think this way.

Originally Posted By: deven
Im anal. I jack up the car opposite to the plug to get the most oil out and I let it drain for about 5 days. I get the best results this way. My UOA's show less iron wear when I let it drain for 5 days. If I only drain for 4 days my iron wear spikes 3 fold so I gotta follow the UOA's....

6 days. Don't be in such a rush.

Imma have to try this out now! 3 times less iron wear I say!!

Originally Posted By: madeej11
I think deven's iron wear is coming from that Royal Smurple he's using.

Haha! You hit it right on the head!!

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What, nobody starts their engine to aid the draining process?

If someone told me that there are people that do what this video shows I would not have believed them. Funny how he wiped around the dipstick tube so dirt would enter an engine with no oil. OH WELL Thanks for posting

I pull car onto ramp, (usually after sitting overnight) let the oil drain until it's just a few drops. I see no need to get those last few drops out. For me it would be a waste of time. Been doing this for a very long time, never any problems.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I see no need to get those last few drops out. For me it would be a waste of time.

Putting your drain plug in sooner doesn't "save" any time. The time passes anyway.

Even if you're dead.

If I die in my sleep, it will be devastating to my wife. No need to compound that with her car being undriveable. And yes, I seriously think this way.

THAT actually makes sense.

As a general proposition, with no third parties (counting the car) involved, it doesn't.

In my case, no one else would be remotely interested in driving my car and it'd go straight to the scrappy, so posthumous lubrication issues wouldn't arise.

I wonder if I could arrange to be crushed into a cube in it and then smelted?

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I put my vehicles up on ramps the night before, then change oil & oil filter at ambient temperature the next day, to the horror of some here. Same with transmission fluid.

I have a thread here asking about changing ATF when the engine is either cold, warm, or fairly hot. The conclusion of those that responded to this was ..... "yes".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back