Not open for further replies.
Maybe 1/2 hour. Sometimes longer.
I prefer to drain the oil when the engine is cold for 2 reasons:
1 - Oil is in pan
2 - Easier to work on a cool engine
3 - Less filter mess

But that's just me.

Last edited:
Slow to no drip. I dropped my oil pan recently and was surprised how much oil is left in there about 1/2 quart. Any particle that is not suspended remain in there. I think I will tilt my car next time.

Last edited:
I drive my car up on ramps, so can't really change it COLD, so I drive it for a couple miles and then put it on the ramps and drain it till it is down to a slow drip. The thing I hate most on my fusion, is the stupid cover under the engine that takes more time and work to R&R than the rest of the oil and filter change.

I drain warm, but not hot enough to present a burn risk. Maybe 90 to 110 F.

I drain sump until the gush turns to a trickle, which then lets me slide the pan over to also catch the oil when I take the filter off while the sump continues to drip. Get lunch or a snack and come back in 20 ish minutes when both are a slow drip.

I dont really have to worry about not getting enough oil to drain. My cars oil continues to drip, even after I screw on the oil drain pan bolt.
W116 300sd Mercedes

I take my time while I have jack stands under front of vehicle so the oil is dripping once every twenty seconds. I have found that after the bulk of hot oil has drained from pan, putting a container under drip will not catch five ounces more of oil in two hour or three hours.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Till it’s dripping very slooooowly..

I did 4 oil changes this past Saturday,
smile.gif

This

I keep it open till it drips at about 1 every 10 seconds or the time to wipe my hands off. I would absolutely not start my engine to get the last few oz out of the oil lines etc. Ed

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Till it is a minor stream.
Till it drips
Till it doesn't drip

I usually drain mine till it drips.

Until the last 0.001 milliliter comes out.
shocked2.gif

Quote:
What, nobody starts their engine to aid the draining process?

What, and run and ruin an oil starved engine?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'll go until it's a slow drip, maybe 10-15 minutes. I don't want to spend the time to figure out how long it takes to stop dripping...I change the oil warm (but not full operating temp) and think that must help the bulk of it drain out fairly quickly.

This

Im anal. I jack up the car opposite to the plug to get the most oil out and I let it drain for about 5 days. I get the best results this way. My UOA's show less iron wear when I let it drain for 5 days. If I only drain for 4 days my iron wear spikes 3 fold so I gotta follow the UOA's....

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Used to crank (no ignition) on some engines to free the oil in the pump. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: deven
Im anal. I jack up the car opposite to the plug to get the most oil out and I let it drain for about 5 days. I get the best results this way. My UOA's show less iron wear when I let it drain for 5 days. If I only drain for 4 days my iron wear spikes 3 fold so I gotta follow the UOA's....

6 days. Don't be in such a rush.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Quote:

What, and run and ruin an oil starved engine?
confused2.gif

It was a tongue and cheek comment because I remember reading in the past that some people actually claimed they did it in order to get the most of the dirty oil out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back