How long do you drain your motor oil?

I don't know. The tech at the shop does it. I'm sure s/he doesn't do it as long as I would.

I let it drain to a slow drip usually around 5 minutes I guess unless I'm in a hurry then when it's at a fast drip.

I just let it drip while I change out the filter (if I'm replacing it) and grab a tea or coffee or whatever.

Back when I was doing OC's my garage was not big enough so it was done in the driveway. How long I let it drain depended on the wind, if not windy I would let it drain to slow drip but if it was windy I'd stop as soon as I seen the wind was going to start blowing oil every where.

Usually let it drain to a drip and then pour in about 4 ounces of new leftover oil from previous O.C. and let that come to a slow drip .

I open the drain plug, let the bulk of it come out, then hand tighten it. Then I remove the oil filter, wait a few minutes, and open the drain plug and let the rest of it come out. It's more satisfying to put the drain plug back in, because when you do take it back out, it looks like more comes out then if you just let it drip for a long time. ;)

If I’m doing several cars at once I’ll get them all draining and go back to the first one once I’ve pulled the drain plug on the last.

One car, I’ll rotate the tires (if applicable) and do other little stuff while it’s draining. Never really thought about how long, but always until after the the stream has slowed to a very slow drip.

Back