How long do they last over time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

Those of you who are familuar with headlight bulbs give my some schooling..... I have an 01' Durango and since bought new I never had a need to change the bulbs out. Unless it's just me they appear to be a little dim at night and so I was wondering if these OEM bulbs should be changed?????? Are these quartz bulbs or halogen types??? After all these years should I swap them out for a much better version or get/stay with OEM style.
Can you guys give me opinions.

I'm getting ready for my 90K service anyway and can have them handle the job but don't want to spend money unecessarily AND I getting ready for my annual trip to Arizona and don't want anything bad to happen out in the middle of the desert.

Durango

Last edited:
If your money is a little funny right now, you could change one and keep the one you took out if the other fails.

I use the LL (LongLife) Bulbs. I get about 6,000 hours out of them.

Thats 8 hours a night 250 days a year for 3 years.

Thanks guys I'll be heading over to my local PEP BOYS anyway so I'll look into them at that point. If I'm lucky perhaps they can do it right there for me.

Durango

Just came from PEP BOYS regarding light bulb replacements and overall I think I'll just change them out in pairs in about a mont before my trip. Sylvania "Xtra Vision" 9007 is good enough for me.

Durango

I still have one original 1978 headlight in my Granada. Other one got hit with rock on the freeway.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Durango
Just came from PEP BOYS regarding light bulb replacements and overall I think I'll just change them out in pairs in about a mont before my trip. Sylvania "Xtra Vision" 9007 is good enough for me.

Durango

Those are good bulbs. You will like them!

Klutch9,

I hope so Klutch 9 cuz I just need replacements to get me by intil the next time in the future. If they last me 5 years or so then I'll be happy.

Durango

I've had them for 2 years in one car, and when I sold the car they still worked great. Stay away from any bulbs with the blue tint or film on them, and you'll be good to go. Long-life bulbs typically last a decent amount longer (hence the name) but put out a little less light. If you'll be driving in the desert, I'd want the brightest bulbs possible, but without compromising too much on bulb life. In my experiences, the XtraVisions are slightly brighter and whiter than factory bulbs, but still give a long life. Compare the XtraVisions to other bulbs on Sylvania's bulb guide to see how they compare as far as bulb life is concerned.

Klutch9,

I'm gonna go ahead and do it this coming weekend. The extra visions from Sylvania are the best for my applications cuz I don't want to change bulbs every year as a habit. One of the other issues I'm a little concerned is wether my switch will over load and get hot? That's why I want the "extra visions" cuz it's just one step up and don't want any hassles from the CHP about blue tint bulbs.

Anyway let me get this chore done and I'll report back after they get installed.

Durango

The XtraVisions (and some of the blue bulbs for that matter) still draw the stock wattage, just like the factory bulbs do. So your wires won't get any hotter than they will with the factory bulbs when you install the XtraVisions. Also, consider upgrading your factory wire harness to a relayed, heavy duty one. Not only will your bulbs be brighter & whiter, because they'll be receiving more wattage, but they'll also last longer, since there is less resistance in the circuit (because of the thicker-gauge wiring).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Durango
Hi you all,

Just to let you know I had the job done and the bulbs were replaced. Funny though the factories were made by Sylvania.

Durango

I think most Fords use Sylvania bulbs from the factory also. Both of my Fords did. Not sure about my wife's Fusion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back