How long do hoses on new vehicles last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoses seem to last [censored] near forever these days. Every vehicle and application is different of course, but they sure seem to hold up well on never vehicles.

I finally replaced the original hoses on a 1991 Chevy Corvette last week.
cool.gif

I agree. I just replaced hoses on my 98 and 02 and they looked very good. theoretically the upper hose is the most likely to leak - it sees the highest temperature swings.

I've noticed that the lower hose usually has the most likeliness to develop a problem - closer to oil leaks etc.

My 02 Buick still has the original hoses and they have no signs of failing ... maybe a hose can go the life of a vehicle if there is no contamination or damage from a foreign object? (I've had vehicles over 200k and never had to replace a hose)

Last edited:
It also depends on you watching the fluids, in particular if you have a coolant leak or during a coolant change you end up with a bubble, the air in your hose can cause a hot spot, and result in premature aging.

Last edited:
I have a 1997 Toyota 4Runner, SR5, 4wd, with all of the original hoses at over 250K on the odometer. IMO....These Toyota hoses and belts, with the exception of the timing belt, are really high quality and built to last.

My 91 Acura with 105kmi was on original hoses up until 6 months ago, when I blew open one of the large ones during a track day while downshifting. Looked like it had been swelling quite a bit before it gave out, was also the hose with highest pressure (water pump outlet), and was quite close to the exhaust. Decided to replace all 23 with OEM parts, hoping they also last 2+ decades.

Got two 10+ year old trucks that is still on the original hoses. One of them I had to change the upper radiator hose since it looked funky so replaced it with an OEM one, good for another 10+ years. On the other truck might change the lower hose due to a leaking ATF fitting on the rad dripping on the hose, rubber looks slightly swollen.

Ase tells us that with the advent of epdm rubber in 2000 and newer vehicles, barring damage serp belts are to last 100 k mi and its good practice to do the main hoses at the same time. That being said, check them on a bi annual basis for swelling

Underhood rubber products do seem to have improved over those of yesteryear. I used to time change them, but no more-just inspect now.

Originally Posted By: Pitbull
Is it the big hoses that I replaced the ones that normally leak?

Can't remember the last time we changed one in our all GM fleet trucks. OEM hoses darn near last forever anymore...

Just squeeze them when the car is cold once a year.

If they feel crispy and stiff and you see cracks forming change the hoses during a scheduled coolant change.

A hose breaking will leave you stranded. They are an important thing to keep an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back