How long are we keeping our cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one downside here in the north is that the salt eats these cars alive in the winter. Sadly, this can cause major repairs too...

Mine are 9, 11, and almost 12. I plan to run these cars until I pretty much finish them off. I do plan to add a new car to the fleet this year, in case one of these cars go down. But it will be cheap (Base cruze, focus) which can be paid off quickly. Then after her car goes, something used (2-4 years old) will be purchased.

I simply can't justify huge payments like that...some nearly like house payments! That can be a huge part of people's budget sometimes...just not worth it...

I have a neighbor who picks up older compacts with some milage (around 100k) for good prices. Then he drops some money into them for updates-then drives them until they are junkyard bound. He just picked up a 2011 Chevy Cruze LS with 89k for 6700 bucks. It was fleet owned, but in very good shape. He got lucky here though, as quite a bit of money was dropped on it about 12k ago...so it's pretty much updated! And he takes pride in them...keeps them clean and waxed....just like me! No wonder we get along so well....

I had my Saturn ION for 9 years. If the engine wasn't dying, I would still be driving it.

I partly chose my car because if the engine did die, I would actually want to go through the trouble of an in-frame rebuild, rather than sell the car.

I agree with alot of it pertains to the areas we live. My Ram & Explorer are both washed & waxed frequently with routine maintenance on fluids,brakes,etc. But living in this salt belt like I do and with all the brime the also add to the roads -- the Ram & Explorer are starting to rust here and there. Both vehicles run like tops otherwise. The Acura TL I just purchased was garage kept & will continue that regiment with my HD Road King Classic. This dam rust is like a cancer -- besides -- I will keep them until the wheels fall off. I HATE PAYMENTS besides my house mortgage!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my 1/2 ton truck for 288 months so far! I have had a few others way longer! Yeah I dont change vehicles very often!

I have had my Taurus about 192 months. - 36 months for payments. Left with 156 months at say $185 mth for payments - $3500 for repairs over the life.

= $25360

So that could do some damage for a 401K, or other investment. vs having a flashy car.

I generally will trade Mrs. Tdbo's vehicle (the Odyssey) off between 80-100K. She may have it longer than that this time.

Everything else goes until it is pretty much used up. The Accord will probably see at least 200k, the Ranger will go until it rots.

The Mustang will go as long as I am going regardless of what some lame Chevrolet dealership that has a name that rhymes with Rash thinks (they have taken an above average interest in it lately.) They can save their postage. I have no interest in their $9605.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
1995 Nissan 4x4 4 cyl 5 speed pickup I owned for 19 years. 228 months?
The more durable the car and the less expense of repairs will always lead to longer ownership.

The Datsun 720, Nissan Hardbody, and early Frontier are difficult to improve on. Only a 22RE powered Toyota was better.

Lots of rust up here. Not crazy about running cars past 10 years anymore. Its nice to brag about but when it needs work on a regular basis it gets old. Quick.

I've had my 1954 pre-A Porsche for 504 months
grin.gif
(since my senior year in HS).
I bought my 1991 500SL from my bros father-in-law, who bought it new. Been in the family about 288 months.
I guess my 2008 Civic (84 months) and 2005 F-150 (120 months) are the newbies
laugh.gif

This isn't directed at anyone, but I never understood the "if the repairs cost more than the car, its time for a new one."

Lets just say my Jeep is worth 3.5k and the engine decides to grenade. While some would consider it totaled, I would try to find another engine. Re manufactured engines can be had for around 2k.

Show me a pristine rust free SUV that goes about anywhere you want it to that can be bought for 2k.

I plan on keeping the Jeep as long as I can. I plan on finding a small econ box in the future, but I hope to be able to keep the Jeep. If the transmission or engine goes out, Ill just replace them.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Mine are kept from birth to death.... usually around 16 years. I am first and last owner. Rust usually is on the death certificate, for Michigan uses salt in the winter. A couple went to their grave (junkyard) running well with a clear dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Mine are kept from birth to death.... usually around 16 years. I am first and last owner. Rust usually is on the death certificate, for Michigan uses salt in the winter. A couple went to their grave (junkyard) running well with a clear dipstick.

That's pretty good use for the rust belt.
I have mine rust proofed every 2 or 3 years, does wonders.

I get bored between 9-12 years and simply move on.

Not interested in driving an old car nor a brand new one.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I get bored between 9-12 years and simply move on.

Not interested in driving an old car nor a brand new one.

I'm with this guy. We kept our last car, a 98 Toyota Camry V6 that we bought new for way too long (15 years). Should have sold it when it still had some value, vs keeping it until it was worth $2,000.

I now plan on not driving anything older then 10 years old. New technologies are interesting. Life is short. Screw driving around in an old rust bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back