How is your vacation driving going to be effected by fuel $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not by much if any. On an interesting note I used my boat more last summer than I ever have before. All the while gas prices were also the highest they had ever been.

Won't be changing my plans any. Like others have said, just make up the small difference somewhere else. Will probably be using the Seadoo more this summer as my daughter is getting older and my son is coming for a month.

Same as joatmon.
Zero, Zip, and Nada
I figured my round trip to Fl next month may cost me $25 more than normal. Based on what I'm seeing in the futures market it may be a draw and cost the same. Wholesale gasoline closed today at $1.9946. Figuring in fuel taxes that works out to $2.65 for 87 with the Fed's, Pa's cut, distribution and profit. Gas dropped to 2.89 today around me. Down 6 cents from Monday.

Well, the beach is less than 300 yards from where I am, so I'd say I'm not affected at all.
tongue.gif

Seriously, lets say I allot $300 gas money for a vacation, the only thing that changes is that I won't be going as far as I might otherwise. So it's Yosemite and Tahoe instead of Yellowstone. So what?
wink.gif

if you work at a job that is so horrible you need to take perioditic vacations from this job, you really need to find another way to earn an income.

I live where everyone else comes for vacation.
banghead.gif

There's enough stuff to do locally. I simply vacation in-state in September when it's still warm and all the kids are locked down in school.

I'm flying out to CA next month. If the rental car people try to "bump" me from a Neon to a Taurus I'll say no thanks even if it's free.

We're driving out to Colorado to see family later this spring. We had planned to take the 300ZX, but decided on the Subaru for fuel mileage. The Z requires premium and gets about 25MPG on the highway, the Subaru runs on regular unleaded and does 32MPG on the highway. Over 800 miles the Subaru should save a bit.

I like that
grin.gif
Valiant defiance in the face of adversity!! I was like that too ..but it was about my being "unbreakable". That was until I broke a few things. Then I didn't scoff so much at physical limitations.
dunno.gif

I don't go on vacations per se. I enjoy going down to WV to see my daughter. Its 335 miles one way and the total trip including 4 days of driving down is about 850 miles. I have already cut down on driving but I really need to go down there.

I don't drive for the fun of driving hardly at all anymore, but it's not because of the cost of gas. It's the cost of maintenence! When I started pizza delivery, I figured out exactly how much maintenence is per mile for my car. Seeing that figure, combined with the cost of gas ($2/gallon then) made me decide to drive a little less.

No, it won't.

Some perspective:

At 15,000 miles per year my DODGE Ram, at 13 mpg average city mpg (22.4 mph) uses 1,153 gallons of gas. The increase from $1.80 to $3.00 per gallon of gasoline is an annual increase of $1,384, or, $27 per week from the time I bought it.

Or, an increase of $93 per 1,000 miles (76 gallons per 1,000 miles) to $230.

Due to depreciation I'm still driving this truck at 28,000 miles past purchase for "free" (value above what was paid with adjustments for service and repairs), and likely very close to the convergence of those two graphed lines. Increased gas prices bring it down faster . . but it is still less in comparison to depreciation, finance charges, etc for the overall ownership of the vehicle.

I'd choose my wife's car for it's ride, better handling & safety features over the truck with its HD suspension for a vacation trip. At double the above mileage, the savings on fuel cost on a 3,000 mile trip is $345. But my truck is still far cheaper to own and to operate than is that Lexus at the end of the year.

And that is the only set of numbers that matters.

If I got rid of it, still wanting a comfortable ride in an inexpensive but safe car, then a 2004 Crown Vic would fit the bill (and it gets good highway mileage).

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/ford/crownvictoria/100311894/cto.html?setzip=75214&vdp=off

The cost of fuel over 5-years is estimated at $10,000 (15,000 miles per annum). The cost of everything else on a car with extra-low depreciation, insurance and upkeep costs is an additional $24,000 (as given in this example).

The right vehicle is always the key.

Viva roadtrips!!!
burnout.gif

[ May 04, 2006, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: TheTanSedan ]

I might not make it to Austin, Texas this summer... what used to cost me $70 bucks round trip now costs me $120-130. It's great being a college student with a gas guzzler... I am changing the o2 sensor so that will help (alot... the current one has 105,500 miles on it)... thats why this summer, I'm telling my friends to drive and see me... they all drive 4 cylinder Toyotas... and with the money I'm saving, I'll be closer to buying that new stereo for my apt.

How many of you are actually going to alter your recreational driving habits due to fuel costs? I would, myself, say ZERO. I would find it odd to attempt to save $50-100 (maybe more) by not going on a vacation that would probably cost me well over $1000 (probably more). That is, I could have one less "fine dining" meal out and recoup the added costs.

We're obviously still suffering from nature's way of saying that you make too much money.
grin.gif

Same here.
The gas isn't a substantial cost next to the hotel, dinner and costs of activities like horseback riding, rafting, etc.
Actually, on the way to work, I park in the right lane and chill out at 54 MPH to save gas $$$$$.
On vacation, I set the cruise as high as I can without risking tickets. I don't wanna' spend extra time with my boss, but I do benefit if I can make it to grandmother's house in 8 hours instead of 9 or 10. My butt gets TIRED...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back