How is Mobil 1 0W-40 A3/B3 & Energy Conserving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some Mobil 1 0W-40 on the shelf at AutoZone and it is A3/B3 AND "Energy Conserving". I never knew there was such a thing and the other xW-40 oils did not have the "Energy Conserving" inside the starburst.

It quickly shears to 30weight! Just jokeing but it does not seem to be very sheer stable.
dunno.gif

There are different levels and types of energy saving. How did the 0w40 or Mobil1 website define it compared to the thinner weights?

If no starburst(whatever), then its not the one you were expecting.

If I'm reading my copy of API 1509 correctly, any oil is eligible to be "energy conserving" if it meets the prescribed criteria. For 0W-40 SL oil these are FEI1 relative to BC 0.9% min, FEI2 releative to BC, 0.6% min, and sum of FEI1 and FEI2 1.6% min. These are measured on the Sequence VIB test.

Only 0W-x, 5W-x, and 10W-x oils can display the starburst and only if they meet ILSAC GF-3 spec.

Mobils own SAE papers showed that the 0w-40, "trisynthetic' formulation sheared down by 20% in the Sequence IIIE, standardized engine test. From what I've seen, the "Not-So-supersyn"
wink.gif
isn't any better in this regard. The stuff only has a HT/HS of 3.6 Cp to start with, which about the same as most ACEA A3/B4 rated 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 oils...That's how they manage to pass this test. Buy "Georgeseq" of AVLube a few microbrews and he'll tell you the same thing ...
wink.gif

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
other ACEA A3/B4 rated 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 oils...

very few ACEA A3 oils exist in a 30 weight, GC, maybe a redline too...?

A3 rating is still the gold standard in my book and it covers parameters other than just HT/HS.

Fred..
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by molechaser:
If I'm reading my copy of API 1509 correctly, any oil is eligible to be "energy conserving" if it meets the prescribed criteria. For 0W-40 SL oil these are FEI1 relative to BC 0.9% min, FEI2 releative to BC, 0.6% min, and sum of FEI1 and FEI2 1.6% min. These are measured on the Sequence VIB test.

Only 0W-x, 5W-x, and 10W-x oils can display the starburst and only if they meet ILSAC GF-3 spec.

This is exactly right. The ILSAC sheet I've got lists specific fuel economy guidelines for 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30 & 5W-30. Everything else has a group spec meeting an avg efficiency improvement of 1.6%. It does not give any info regarding the reference oil.

In contrast, the ACEA sheet I've got only lists fuel economy improvement requirements for the A1/B1 & A5/B5 ratings, which must equal at least 2.5%. It lists the test as CEC-L-54-T-96, & the 15W-40 reference oil as RL 191.

If an oil meets the generally-more-strict A3/B3 rating, then there's neither an implied nor required fuel economy benefit. This leaves a manufacturer to look for other ways to claim this benefit, & ILSAC is a convenient way to do this.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Mobils own SAE papers showed that the 0w-40, "trisynthetic' formulation sheared down by 20% in the Sequence IIIE, standardized engine test. From what I've seen, the "Not-So-supersyn" isn't any better in this regard. ...

C'mon Ted, give it up. Mobil hasn't made TriSyn in how many years?? It's irrelevant data at this point. As far as SuperSyn goes, the UOA section on this site has shown that, in normally aspirated engines, it holds up equal or better to oils with narrower viscosity spreads.

Fred,

The Amsoil 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 are also ACEA "A3/B4" rated, as is the Series 3000, 5w-30.

All the ACEA A3/B4 oils I've seen are either synthetic blends or full synthetics. It is not possible to meet this spec with even the best, Group II petroleum basestock. The 15w-40, HD diesel oils will meet the B3/B4 spec for light duty diesel engines, but not necessarily the A3 spec for higher performance gas engines. This requires a very high quality GP III and/or PAO/Ester basestock, along with a robust additive chemistry.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back