How is a GM key fob Programmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go....

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2001 Chevrolet S10 Pickup - 2WD | Blazer, Bravada, Envoy, Jimmy, S10 Pickup, Sonoma (VIN S/T) Service Manual | Document ID: 1276042
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

You may program up to 4 transmitters, using either of the 2 following procedures:

Method 1 - No Tools Required
Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the door unlock switch.
While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Method 2 - Scan Tool Required
Install a scan tool.
Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
Use the scan tool in order to access the body control module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs menu.
Follow the directions on the scan tool in order to program the transmitters.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

I think-get in vehicle and close doors. Put key in ignition. Hold power unlock button down. Cycle key on-off twice. Let go of the unlock button.

You should hear the door locks cycle. That means programming is active.

Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob till the door locks cycle again. Let go. Take the key out of the ignition, and the fob should be programmed.

Does anyone know the OBDII codes to do this, using a scangauge? I know it might take a couple of hours, but it's cheaper than going to a dealer with the scan tool.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Does anyone know the OBDII codes to do this, using a scangauge? I know it might take a couple of hours, but it's cheaper than going to a dealer with the scan tool.

This is not an OBDII issue. And a scan gauge can't do this. Only a GM Tech 2. That's why there's 2 ways to program a key remote - the fast Tech 2 scan tool way and the slower owner way. Actually today some cars can't be done w/o a factory tool. Jeep comes to mind.

I'm sure it can be done using a Scangauge or a PC interface, but it's very tedious. The codes have to be sent one at a time, and you have to find out what the codes are. Later Saturn SL's don't have the key fob option.

there are no codes, you have to access the module to program it, which requires the factory scan tool. ford is the same way unless you already have 2 programmed keys.

I'm sure it can be done using a Scangauge or a PC interface, but it's very tedious. The codes have to be sent one at a time, and you have to find out what the codes are. Later Saturn SL's don't have the key fob option.

This cannot be done. It has nothing to do with the PCM or OBD2 codes. It has nothing to do with OBD2 period. You need the Tech 2 bi-directional scan tool with GM software or do it the manual way as outlined above (which is for the S10 only, other GM's use different steps). A scan gauge (and PC related scan tools)is nothing more than a reader of the data stream like a low end code reader. It cannot communicate to the car. Furthermore the key remotes work on a rolling code system so the frequency sent to the car is different every press of the button - good luck finding the code.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
there are no codes, you have to access the module to program it, which requires the factory scan tool. ford is the same way unless you already have 2 programmed keys.

Correct - somebody gets it!

A Jeep dealer did this for me for free. They used their factory scan tool. Unfortunately (for me) the Dodge key fob did not work in my Jeep so I had to buy a Jeep key fob. But they did try for free.

Anyone need a Dodge key fob?

I did try some of the advice on the internet to program it, and I could not even get it into program mode, so I gave up.

Scangauge does have the ability to send codes to the car. I happen to have one.

No it doesn't. It RETRIEVES codes and data. It is not bi-directional. Only top dollar tools (like Tech 2) can do this and a $200 scangauge cannot. I am a subject matter expert in automotice systems as are a few others on here.

the Tech 2 is a nice tool, ive used it at school, and one of my friends writes for Bosch so he has a few at his house to play with. i like the IDS a lot better though, mostly because its Windows based and you can play solitaire, and look up stuff online while you run tests.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

No it doesn't. It RETRIEVES codes and data. It is not bi-directional. Only top dollar tools (like Tech 2) can do this and a $200 scangauge cannot. I am a subject matter expert in automotice systems as are a few others on here.

"
SCAN TOOL
The ScanGaugeII allows you to troubleshoot your own car, read error codes, and the conditions present when the error occurred. You can also turn off the “Check Engine” light and avoid those costly trips to the mechanic.

* Reads Trouble Codes
* Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
* Clears Trouble Codes
* Turns off the "Check Engine" light
* Tells you when vehicle is "Ready" to pass OBDII testing
* Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer "

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

"
SCAN TOOL
The ScanGaugeII allows you to troubleshoot your own car, read error codes, and the conditions present when the error occurred. You can also turn off the “Check Engine” light and avoid those costly trips to the mechanic.

* Reads Trouble Codes
* Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code
* Clears Trouble Codes
* Turns off the "Check Engine" light
* Tells you when vehicle is "Ready" to pass OBDII testing
* Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes
to send to the vehicle computer "

Thanks. You proved my point. Scan Guage is not able to communicate with the car -only read downstream data. I wish ya lived near me, I'd let you play with my Tech 2 because that is the only way you can understand the differences. Your Scan Gauge cannot make the car's idle change, make sensors and relays work, turn on lights and horns and such and surely cannot program modules. All this can only be done by a bi-directional professional scan tool. Scan Gauge is a toy in comparison - not that its not nice - it is. I have one mounted on my Buick GN's dash to monitor o2 and spark knock/retard - but don't be fooled that it is a professional tool. We're talking $200 vs thousands.

Last edited:
Read the last sentence. It contains the word "send"

From the Scan Guage manual: http://www.pureenergysystems.com/store/ScanGauge/SGIIManual.pdf

In this mode sequences can be selected, edited or sent to the vehicle and
responses displayed. This allows special sequences which are unique to
a specific vehicle or rarely used to be sent. Any returned data will be
displayed. Up to 10 sequences can be put into these memory locations
for later recall. They are stored in non-volatile memory and will not be
lost when the unit is disconnected from the vehicle.
The upper right and left buttons cause the memory selection to be
changed. When the desired memory has been chosen, it can be edited or
transmitted to the vehicle.
Pressing HOME will return the display to the home screen. Pressing
EDIT will switch to an entry screen.
¬_ ®

All this means is you can program the scangauge to run a sequence for you saving key strokes. Like a computer macro. It is NOT passing data to the car it is requesting data. Furthermore the sequences are stored on the scangauge not the car.

I'm done. You'll never understand.

Last edited:
By your logic, the scangauge would not be able to reset the CEL.

Does anyone know the sequence of binary codes that need to be sent in order to put a Saturn SL into the mode where the key fob is memorized? If it takes fewer than 10 codes in a row, it can be done using a simple Scangauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back