How is a GM key fob Programmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look guys, I'd tend to believe the guy who builds GM vehicles about what can and cannot be done.

Is the computer that controls body functions such as doors, lights, keys even connected to the PCM? If not, then how would a scan gauge even tell the other computer to accept a new key?

Just because the scangauge can send codes still doesn't mean it can program a new key.

Maybe it can, but until someone actually does it, this argument is pointless.

If there's a special connector for the other systems, then a special tool needs to be had. Hopefully one day these things will be hacked, so dealers cannot hold you hostage for $ for a simple thing like activating a new key.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Is the computer that controls body functions such as doors, lights, keys even connected to the PCM? If not, then how would a scan gauge even tell the other computer to accept a new key?

They're generally on the same databus.

Old post, I know, but there's your answer.

As far as programming GM remotes, it'd be rather interesting to run an ELM in sniffer mode while this is being done with a tech II. The ELM is a bit more sophisticated than the ScanGauge yet is also cheaper.

Why bother with all that - there is an owner method that I originally posted for the guy. No scan tool required. (But I do use my Tech 2 for this since it is quicker).

BTW- what an old post brought from the dead. I actually read thru it and didn't even catch that I was reading my own posts LOL! Even worse, I was agreeing w/myself LOL!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
BTW- what an old post brought from the dead. I actually read thru it and didn't even catch that I was reading my own posts LOL! Even worse, I was agreeing w/myself LOL!

It would be entertaining if you disagreed and started arguing with yourself!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Why bother with all that - there is an owner method that I originally posted for the guy. No scan tool required. (But I do use my Tech 2 for this since it is quicker).

No owner method on the 2004 Chevy Classic (Malibu) that I've been able to find, scantool is required for that one. I ran across this post when I was trying to find out what scantools besides a Tech II can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back