How Important is it to use Z1 ATF in a Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
Thanks for all the responses. It looks like Honda's warnings about substituting another brake fluid are a bit overblown.

We know you mean "ATF" and not "brake fluid" but I wouldn't be cavalier about substituting just ANY ATF for Z1. The Amsoil seems well proven, and perhaps a coupla others, but don't just toss in any 'ol thing.

I would like to add to the amsoil atf love! I have used it in my E for 8-10k so far and it shifts way better than with Z1! My wife even noticed the difference and she dident even know I changed the ATF!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Thanks for all the responses. It looks like Honda's warnings about substituting another brake fluid are a bit overblown.

Brake fluid?
Doh!
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

We know you mean "ATF" and not "brake fluid" but I wouldn't be cavalier about substituting just ANY ATF for Z1. The Amsoil seems well proven, and perhaps a coupla others, but don't just toss in any 'ol thing.
I imagine the key is to use a fluid recommended as a replacement for Z1 ATF.

I have a '00 Accord EX v6. My transmission is slipping, for the first 1-2 shift at start-up. I change the fluid yearly (15-20k miles) with Z1. I switched 2 years ago to Mobil-1 ATF, and it made the shifts worse...much harder and worse slipping then the Z1 in it now 2 years later. Not sure if Amsoil ATF would help, but I would love to keep the car for another 2+ years or so.

Most people who uses Z1 have a smoother shift due to the way Honda design its AT. It doesn't means that it is a must to use Z1, just that it is designed to smooth out the shift quality. Molakule mentioned in the past the Z1 is a typical fluid with a dose of zinc in it.

I'm using Maxlife at the moment, while it is not as smooth as Molakule's SF ATF for Z1 application or Honda Z1, it is still decently smooth.

The important thing is not to use Z1 and everything will be copasetic! Amsoil and Redline D4 are two great alternatives. I have had nothing but problems with Z1 and since using these alternative synthetic ATF's those issues have disappeared completely.

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
Readers of this thread need to read this...I too have a Honda and I wouldnt put AMSOIL ATF in it. Risk/Reward ratio isnt too good. Ill put AMSOIL Synthetics into my engine but not AMSOIL ATF. Automatic transmission are just too picky.

http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=10890&highlight=amsoil

Why do some seem to have to find this one and only claim of Amsoil ATF and Honda's having a problem. I hope this guy knows his faulty transmission, which any of us can have from the factory...not fluid related....has made some people paranoid about using Amsoil ATF. What about the other people with hundreds of thousands of miles using Amsoil ATF in their Honda?

I use Amsoil ATF in my 03 Ody. It shifts great, and my tranny is known to have failures. I use Amsoil as extra assurance. It may still fail, but not because of the Amsoil, because the design is not the best. Amsoil improves this situation IMHO.

I have read alot of threads about this issue and the vast majority say stay with ZR1.

I changed my wifes Honda's transmission fluid I used ZR1 because you are not supposed to flush the transmission and I did the fill and dump 2x method. I am sure that some old fluid remained behind so that is why I wanted to keep with the same type of fluid. It is near impossible to get 100% of the old stuff out.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
I have read alot of threads about this issue and the vast majority say stay with ZR1.

I changed my wifes Honda's transmission fluid I used ZR1 because you are not supposed to flush the transmission and I did the fill and dump 2x method. I am sure that some old fluid remained behind so that is why I wanted to keep with the same type of fluid. It is near impossible to get 100% of the old stuff out.

Without trying to sound rude, that is just utter nonsense. It is pretty easy to get all the fluid out. Drain and fill...follow the drain and fill calculator. Or, use the cooling lines, you will get just about 100% of the fluid out...because 100% of the fluid goes through the cooler lines.

Also....."I have read alot of threads about this issue and the vast majority say stay with ZR1."....that is just uneducated and a ZR1 is a corvette...not ATF. Not to say Z1 isn't the OEM...it is made for Honda's. It is just not the BEST option. There are multiple posts with UOA's of Z1 and Amsoil ATF in Honda Tranny's. The Amsoil almost always holds up better than the Z1.

Last edited:

My guess is that you don't want to use ordinary Dexron/Mercon III, but ATF's that are recommended for Z1 applications by their manufacturer are okay.

There are certain types of ATF other than OEM Z1 that would probably be OK. Those being Mobil 1 Universal ATF, Maxlife Dex/Merc (maybe), Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle, and Amsoil Universal (maybe). But if the transmission is a picky model I would stick to the OEM fluid because it's an expensive machine and it's doubtful any oil company is going to honor a claim regarding a broken transmission, even if it is their fault.

Originally Posted By: hal
There are certain types of ATF other than OEM Z1 that would probably be OK. Those being Mobil 1 Universal ATF, Maxlife Dex/Merc (maybe), Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle, and Amsoil Universal (maybe). But if the transmission is a picky model I would stick to the OEM fluid because it's an expensive machine and it's doubtful any oil company is going to honor a claim regarding a broken transmission, even if it is their fault.
At 125K miles it's doubtful Honda would honor any claim. Anyway, the tranny seems to be holding up pretty well.

Originally Posted By: Cooper

Without trying to sound rude, that is just utter nonsense. It is pretty easy to get all the fluid out. Drain and fill...follow the drain and fill calculator. Or, use the cooling lines, you will get just about 100% of the fluid out...because 100% of the fluid goes through the cooler lines.

Also....."I have read alot of threads about this issue and the vast majority say stay with ZR1."....that is just uneducated and a ZR1 is a corvette...not ATF. Not to say Z1 isn't the OEM...it is made for Honda's. It is just not the BEST option. There are multiple posts with UOA's of Z1 and Amsoil ATF in Honda Tranny's. The Amsoil almost always holds up better than the Z1.

I said its near impossible to get 100% of the old ATF out.... then you tell me my words are utter nonsense, and its easy to get ALL of it out then you say use xx method and "will get JUST about 100%. You just contradicted yourself. So you make a point to disagree with my statement, then you agree with my statement. That right there is utter nonsense.

If you can dump out only 40% of your ATF and fill it and dump again, and again and again. Asuming that the AFT is mixing 100% parts of old and new you are only dumping 40% of 40% of 40%, it would take many many quarts of new ATF got get 100% out. To say flushing and filling you can get every ounce, every drop, every molecule of the old AFT of the transmition I would say yes it is NEAR impossible.

That said, will 2-3x fill and dumps work enought to get "enough" of the old stuff out, sure but will not get 100%.
If I get 90% of the old Z1 out and fill it with new Z1 I will not lose any sleep over it.

Yes I made a typo and called it ZR1 not Z1.

I never compared Z1 to Amsoil, To say that I have read many threads about the issue of people haveing some issues using non Z1 is undeducated is a misnomer. I can point out and link many threads that people claim using xxxx had caused them some issue's they did not have with Z1. Which has nothing to do with education.

The point I am making is that Honda Z1 may not "best" ATf but for the application, it is known to work and work well enough for many Honda's to stay on the road of hundreds of thousands of miles.

BTW I do have do have a bachelors, and masters degree, MCSE and CCIA. Not that it matters or makes me any smarter than anyone else on here but would make me more "educated" than most.

130K on an 01 Civic EX since new and it has seen only Z1! I said this on another thread here about Z1 in a Honda, "if it isn't broke, why try to fix it"? The 01 model is notorious for tranny issues, and I've had ZERO issues (knock wood)! I've done a few drain(3qt) and refills, the last one myself. It's not very difficult.

What bothers me here is all the experts that are critical of some wanting to stick with Z1 instead of switching to Amsoil. You like Amsoil, cool, make your point and move on. Don't criticize someone who is happy with Z1 and wants to stick with it! It's worked for me, it's easy to get and I'm sticking with it.

Originally Posted By: hal

I would not be sure about that.

BTW I do have do have a bachelors, and masters degree, MCSE and CCIA. Not that it matters or makes me any smarter than anyone else on here but would make me more "educated" than most.

[/quote]

What schools did you attend for 6 years to get all of these fancy degree's? You may want to go back and take a grammer class. Philip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back