How have motor oils changed over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How have motor oils changed over time? It seems here at this web site that Pennzoil, Chevron, and Castrol may well be the best conventional motor oils (judging from VOAs and UOAs). Has this always been the case, or have some oils been better at one time and then not as good at another time? Has there been one or more brands of motor oil that have consistently been among the best?

I think they have all had their heydays . Pennzoil started using moly in 1996 , long before othe OTC's I think and was one of the better dinos despite the bad rap clueless mechanics gave it . The pre Drive Clean Mobil oil was a good one and today three other oils that will hold their own very well but are not talked about much are the new formulated group II/III Motorcraft 5w-30, the Phillips 10w-30 Trop Artic Turbo oil with Moly and a TBN of 13 and the formulated for gasoline engines Mystik 5 and 10w-30's . The Mystik is non API and not constrained . Might be one to look for come API SM-GF-4 .

Ever see the Kendall logo with the two fingers?? This is because it was one of the first oils to claim to last 2,000 mi.
lol.gif

Things have come a long way. Some of the early 10W-40's were recommended, but broke down quickly.
I think this is a lot of why people still think about the 3,000 mi. oil change. This was a recommended grade for a long time in the USA and many oils wouldn't go longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back