How good is Royal Purple's 5W-20, 0W-20, 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering Royal Purple 5W-30 for the Mercury and i know Redline has a 0W-20 that is actually the lightest possible 30-weight. Now, i dont feel like paying for Redline to be shiped, and im in a warm climate. Therefore, how heavy is Royal Purple's 20-weights, particularly the 5W-20 which i can buy on the shelf at the store? I feel 0W-40 would be a poor choice for the car.. maybe. (Same with the 5W-30, wally world or the store with the 20. 10W is not entering my thoughts.)

Royal Purple's 5W-30 might be good, instead of a 20 or 40. But how good are the 5W-30, 5W-20, and 0W-20?

Me thinks this engine needs a gooood cleaning and I would not overlook RP as a boutique oil. Particuarly since the oil in it so far has been so bad and the engine rattles at idle. (Diesel sound.)

I also cant change the oil for another month or so, btw.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What car, how many miles do you intend on using RP for? What type of driving.

1) It would be the 1999 Mercury Mystique, I4
2) Could use RP for the rest of the cars life if the engine takes to it well. It sure is a dirty engine and RP would clean out the gummed up parts real good. The engine wont be opened up and i want to be good to it.
3) Driving is normal, nice and smooth. The tranny hasnt been rebuilt yet so it gets driven sort of like an old grandma would drive a Lincoln or Cadillac.

Was thinking RP5W-30and was checking up on the 20-weights.

If you want cleaning action, use Pennzoil Ultra. It comes in either the 5w-30 or 5w-20 flavors. I'm not sure if RP is known for its cleaning ability; it is known for its film strength though.

If Royal Purple put "cleans out 40% of sludge on the first oil change" on its label it would be known for its cleaning ability. I have little doubt that almost any decent synthetic currently available could legitimately make that claim. That's not a slam on Pennzoil, but I don't think its real world cleaning ability is any better than Mobil 1. I haven't seen it in application, and Mobil 1 has shown pistons run in sequence IIIG that have looked every bit as clean as Ultra's.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Now, i dont feel like paying for Redline to be shiped, and im in a warm climate.Therefore, how heavy is Royal Purple's 20-weights, particularly the 5W-20 which i can buy on the shelf at the store?

If you're willing to buy a case, it's pretty easy to find free shipping from a Red Line distributor. I have yet to pay tax or shipping on Red Line motor oil.

Regarding Royal Purple, it's hard to find their PDSs but they are available. Royal Purple's HTHS viscosity tends to fall in line with the major label synthetics for a given grade, so I'd guess that RP 5W-20 is going to be pretty comparable to your Mobil 1/Pennzoil Platinum/SynPower 5W-20s i.e. a standard 20-weight.

If you buy redline from OGRACING online.....they have FREE shipping on orders over $100.....which a case of Redline has no problem doing.
The same will be the case through other online speed shops as well.
Also.....Amazon, if it is shipped from a Amazon warehouse, it will be free on orders over $25.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
If Royal Purple put "cleans out 40% of sludge on the first oil change" on its label it would be known for its cleaning ability. I have little doubt that almost any decent synthetic currently available could legitimately make that claim. That's not a slam on Pennzoil, but I don't think its real world cleaning ability is any better than Mobil 1. I haven't seen it in application, and Mobil 1 has shown pistons run in sequence IIIG that have looked every bit as clean as Ultra's.

Now, i dont feel like paying for Redline to be shiped, and im in a warm climate.Therefore, how heavy is Royal Purple's 20-weights, particularly the 5W-20 which i can buy on the shelf at the store?

If you're willing to buy a case, it's pretty easy to find free shipping from a Red Line distributor. I have yet to pay tax or shipping on Red Line motor oil.

Regarding Royal Purple, it's hard to find their PDSs but they are available. Royal Purple's HTHS viscosity tends to fall in line with the major label synthetics for a given grade, so I'd guess that RP 5W-20 is going to be pretty comparable to your Mobil 1/Pennzoil Platinum/SynPower 5W-20s i.e. a standard 20-weight.

This post is full of WIN!!!

(and truth!!!)

I was considering Royal Purple 5W-30 for the Mercury and i know Redline has a 0W-20 that is actually the lightest possible 30-weight.
But how good are the 5W-30, 5W-20, and 0W-20?

IMO not worth the price and certainly not in the same league as RL.
The GF-5 SN reformulation has eliminated the synerlec ester so as far as we know they are just another premium GP III & IV based syn. Their 5W-20 (153 VI) and 5W-30 (162 VI) have lower VIs than most OTC syn's. The exception would be their new 0W-20
grade with it's 177 VI that's somewhat higher than all OTC 0W-20's short of the Toyota and Idemitsu made 0W-20s. But then is the RP 0W-20 cheaper? Not likely.

As Ben99GT mentioned, RP cleaning ability is I'm sure no better than M1, PU or even PP.

On balance unless you can get a very good deal on it, there are better choices.

For what you are trying to do I would go with Amsoil 3000 5W30 HDD or what ever they are calling it now. I doubt you will find a 5W30 that cleans better.

Off the shelf I would likely go with M1 EP followed by Pennzoil Ultra.

Had great luck cleaning high mileage and older cars fast with 2X M1 high mileage 5w-30 5K OCI's, then switching to M1 or PU. Many say regular M1 or PU will work, just takes longer.

IMHO 90's vintage cars and modern thin oils...bad idea. They weren't designed to run on it. Maybe you'll be fine, maybe you wont. I'd stay with 5w-30. Your asking for blowby, leaks etc. for a couple extra mpg.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Anyone remember the Mustang camshaft comparison with RP and something else? The RP cams were spotless.

No, the RP cams were "polished". It was never established if that was a good thing or not. Virgin cams aren't polished. And the testing pictures showing pass/fail appeared to indicate that the "polished" lobes had MORE wear on them.

Redline is worth the cost over Royal Purple however I think you would just as well served using a readily available Synthetic like Mobil 1 , Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, etc.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
No one has tested any of the reformulated RP SN GF-5 oils now that they have had to drop the propriatary "Synerlec" ester.
So there's no point quoting past performance.

Did they keep the 0W-40 grade for SN without Synerlec? I think id use it if i had a car that needed a 40 like a VW, or Subaru (older SVX 3.3L, etc.)

As for the Mystique.. Supertech 5W-30 will likely win. Nice basic oil, ive read enough that every 5000 miles on it should be good.
smile.gif

In the heat of Dallas Texas....I'd choose a true synthetic 10W-30 over a 5W-30 any day of the week. You would gain more shear stability and lower NOACK volatility. The only sacrifice is cold flow performance, but let's get real. You are not going to experience sub 0*F weather in Dallas.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Redline is worth the cost over Royal Purple however I think you would just as well served using a readily available Synthetic like Mobil 1 , Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra, etc.

I don't see why more people don't take advantage of Amsoil's preferred customer status. You get top grade true synthetics at the OTC hydrocracked petroleum price. It's a no lose situation.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
So you went from royal purple or maybe redline...to super tech? Lol

Its a Mercury Mystique, and though i love awesome oils, it seems its truly not needed in this situation.

Supertech.. 5W-30, perhaps.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
In the heat of Dallas Texas....I'd choose a true synthetic 10W-30 over a 5W-30 any day of the week. You would gain more shear stability and lower NOACK volatility. The only sacrifice is cold flow performance, but let's get real. You are not going to experience sub 0*F weather in Dallas.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I don't see why more people don't take advantage of Amsoil's preferred customer status. You get top grade true synthetics at the OTC hydrocracked petroleum price. It's a no lose situation.

Not sure why you quoted me, I am not the poster. But anyway...I use Redline and Mobil 1 products and refuse to use Amsoil or Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
So you went from royal purple or maybe redline...to super tech? Lol

Its a Mercury Mystique, and though i love awesome oils, it seems its truly not needed in this situation.

Supertech.. 5W-30, perhaps.
smile.gif

I was just giving you a hard time...I have nothing against super tech...I use it in my parents 96 s10 with the 2.2l 4cyl. I try to use Quaker state when the price difference is only a buck or two,but any price difference greater then that I go with super tech 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back