How good is Napa 5W-30 Syn???

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it comparte to PP? I have been using PP since our Walmart carries it for $4.01 and I just picked up a case of Napa Syn 5W-30 for $3.86 a quart. I know it is made by Valvoline but does it compare well to PP or Synpower.

It doesn't have quite as good of an add pack as SynPower but they are similar. I'd put it below either. But I bought a case a while ago and will be running it at 7500 OCI's and don't really live dangerously.

I always wonder how anyone knows for sure the additive package is weaker or stronger. This is a WAG based on little information. IF someone here thinks they can truely judge the efficacy of an oils additrive package through a VOA please speak up, I want to hear your methods and elemental corelations to performance.

As far as I am concerned NAPA synthetic is just as good as any name brand synthetic with the same specs. I just bought a case for 2.99 a quart in May. (I have been buying alot of oil lately and I normally don't stash
wink.gif

I am going to be using it in my 03 Pontiac Vibe and 02 Celica GT. Both have the 1zz-fe. I am also running Wix 51394 filters.

At some point before the VOA was done someone called valvoline and asked, and that's the response they got. And if anything, the VOA backs that up. But I would agree it may not be significant.

I'm excited to try it. I've got 12 bottles waiting. And it will be on my first 7500 mile OCI on the HL, it's been stuck at 5000 under warranty until now. So obviously I do think it's a good product.

Per Ashland, the Napa oils have like 50 ppm less zinc/phosphorous.

It's posted in the rebate section here when Napa synthetic was on sale.

Part, but not all, of the additive package can certainly be judged by the VOAs. Why do you think the calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, etc are all listed for? Certainly not all the ingredients are there; some of the proprietary stuff for the anti-agglomerates and detergents and such may not direction show up on a VOA, but at least some elements do!

To the real point, though, is results matter more than inputs. It's great to know the VOA information, the base stocks, etc. But the REAL data is gleaned from the UOAs!

Napa's syn oils do just fine, as do most others on the market. If you can find them on sale, they are quite a good performer for the group III dollar you spend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Part, but not all, of the additive package can certainly be judged by the VOAs. Why do you think the calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, etc are all listed for? Certainly not all the ingredients are there; some of the proprietary stuff for the anti-agglomerates and detergents and such may not direction show up on a VOA, but at least some elements do!

To the real point, though, is results matter more than inputs. It's great to know the VOA information, the base stocks, etc. But the REAL data is gleaned from the UOAs!

+1
11.gif

Results matter. Having a love affair for any metallic additive can cause people to overlook some very good oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back