How good are Motorcraft oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering. In my 1993 F-150, an FL-1A is all it's ever seen.

What do you think???

Extremely good, especially for the price. The bypass valve is in the right spot (most aren't), end caps are robust, filter media is above average, ADBV is among the best.

The Motorcraft filter essentially gives you $10+ filter performance (actually better than a few $10 filters) for less than $4.

the FL-1A is made by Purolator and is a Purolator Pure One filter in a regular white can Purolator casing. It's a good bang for your buck as you get that "OEM" feeling, and AZ puts their motorcraft oil filters on sale all the time 2 for $4, no strings attached. I've stocked up a few years back.

Originally Posted By: EricF
AZ puts their motorcraft oil filters on sale all the time 2 for $4, no strings attached.
If by "AZ" you mean AutoZone, I have NEVER seen Motorcraft filters on sale in the 10 years I've been going there. If they did, I'd buy every FL820S they had in stock...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
AZ puts their motorcraft oil filters on sale all the time 2 for $4, no strings attached.
If by "AZ" you mean AutoZone, I have NEVER seen Motorcraft filters on sale in the 10 years I've been going there. If they did, I'd buy every FL820S they had in stock...
grin2.gif

I'll second that. Years ago, I used to clip Sunday newspaper coupons to get Motorcraft oil filters for $2 at Western Auto. In my area, I've never seen AZ have Motorcraft filters at reduced prices. I guess I live in the wrong area.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I don't always use inexpensive filters. But when I do, I prefer MC

I rarely use expensive filters. But when I don't, I prefer MC (or Purolator 2nd).

I suppose both sides of the coin look the same....

All three of my vehicles were running 400-S filters. I stuffed the FL-1A last time on the ranger. The camry made it this far on frams in other hands, but at walmart I just buy 3 MC's at a time when I am out. Three different makes and the same threads, pretty lucky :)

the FL-1A is made by Purolator and is a Purolator Pure One filter in a regular white can Purolator casing.

Not the whole story, as clarified by sayjac here:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Can't add much to what's been said. Great value Purolator made with base end bypass as per FoMoCo specs.

More specific info here. And, here.

Motorcraft locates the bypass valve in the end cap, while the Purolator equivalent does not. Because of this, the Motorcraft filter will not "bypass" oil across the dirty side of the filter element while the Purolator will.

Purolator builds the Motorcraft filters, but it's to Ford's specs. The Motorcraft version is superior.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Motorcraft locates the bypass valve in the end cap, while the Purolator equivalent does not.

Just to clarify ... that does not hold true for all Motorcraft oil filters. The FL-822 I cut open has the bypass valve on the dome end, just like a Purolator.

A quick look down the center hole will tell you which bypass setup is being used.

Busa is correct. The 820-S uses base loaded bypass and silicone adbv. But, the 822 he cut open, and some other MC apps, use dome end bypass with nitrile adbv.

It must have do with the particular engine application requirements. I know the very popular 820-S is used on Ford 4.6L and many others. The 822 that busa cut open looks much like a Purolator Classic with nitrile adbv.

IMO, the MC filter media is not the same as Pure One, likely closer to Purolator Classic media efficiency.

Originally Posted By: labman
Does the 822 have the 20 mm 1.5 thread? Who stocks a good selection of Motorcrafts?

Yes, it has 20mm x 1.5 threads. The FL822 crosses over to these filters. All of these are the "long version" of the filters (~ 3.5 inches long). The "short versions" are ~ 2.5 inches long.

1356 NAPA GOLD
3323 ROBERT BOSCH
51356 WIX
B1402 BALDWIN FILTERS
L14610 PUROLATOR
PL14610 PUROLATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back