How good are Motorcraft oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the Fl-910 on my Focus. Its a straight up and down orientation, so the ADBV material is of little consequence. I have noticed minor seepage from the sealing gasket over a typical 5k OCI. This has been witnessed on three seperate filters. I install 1 full turn past seating, so I think its just an issue with the filter.
That said, the seepage is very minor...and never makes it to the ground.

I have three used FL-910's sitting around, one day I'll cut them open and post some pics, along with the Fram, Wix, and M1 versions.

Originally Posted By: pzev
I use the Fl-910 on my Focus. Its a straight up and down orientation, so the ADBV material is of little consequence. I have noticed minor seepage from the sealing gasket over a typical 5k OCI. This has been witnessed on three seperate filters. I install 1 full turn past seating, so I think its just an issue with the filter.
That said, the seepage is very minor...and never makes it to the ground.

Interesting. Mine is also vertical. I guess your Focus and my Mazda3 have pretty much the same engine. I've got 3 of the FL-910s. I'm wondering how long I should keep them. I'm now concerned that the integrity of the gasket might be compromised over time. It's going to take me about 18 months to use these filters up.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Yeah, they do not have a thermostat. Pretty much the coolant regulates it.
Did you get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? I know the stock one on the Vic (actually most late model fords) is nothing more than an on-off switch.
This is why in '05 they went to a idiot light for oil as opposed to an idiot gauge.

No, nothing aftermarket. I've been really tempted to get a sandwich plate for an oil temperature sensor, though. That would be perfect for adding a better pressure sensor, too.

I wonder if I should replace the stock sensor? Do you think the oil temperature could be affecting the way it's working?

I wouldn't worry about the age. I tend to buy as needed, but did clean out the local Wal-Mart of clearanced NOS ST 3950's. They were the older, thread end bypass design, so must have several years old before I used the last one. Great filters for 50 cents. Love to hit one of the Wally's that I hear still have some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back