How Germany Almost Reached America

We had radar and they had jet engines, the first drones (Joystick,) and rockets! Our industrial strength, part & parcel of the largest economy won the war. Although; we carpet bombed cities which had no strategic advantage. Bomber Harris (Brits). I'm speaking as an amateur ww2 historian. Context is everything.

On a different note. For those interested in an adventurous alternate time line series, concerning this topic. Check out "Man in the High Castle" it's on prime.
Honestly, it’s Garbage. There are better books than that...

We had radar and they had jet engines, the first drones (Joystick,) and rockets! Our industrial strength, part & parcel of the largest economy won the war. Although; we carpet bombed cities which had no strategic advantage. Bomber Harris (Brits). I'm speaking as an amateur ww2 historian. Context is everything.
Agree on everything. I too am an avid amateur WWII buff. My wife is tired of me watching TimeLine, Janson's Media, Wings of the Luftwaffe (when the Discovery Channel and Military Channel had good programming), Secrets of War etc., and other productions on YouTube. LOL

Agree on everything. I too am an avid amateur WWII buff. My wife is tired of me watching TimeLine, Janson's Media, Wings of the Luftwaffe (when the Discovery Channel and Military Channel had good programming), Secrets of War etc., and other productions on YouTube. LOL
Stop!!! Buy the good books while you can. Tons of them! Not the ones I listed- that's just idiotic fiction for the most part - but the real history ones.

The British had jets during WWII as well, the Gloster Meteor, with engines pioneered by Frank Whittle. I met someone who flew a Meteor during WWII. There is no evidence that British and German jets ever met in combat during WWII.

It's claimed that the bombing of German cities served no purpose . But the Germans had occupied almost all of Europe and the only realistic way to hit back at them was to bomb them. And anyway the Germans started it by bombing London (though that may have been accidental). So the British retaliated by bombing Berlin. And it was on. Germany tried to bring Britain to its knees by wiping out London.

If nothing else bombing Berlin was a propaganda coup. Goering had said that if someone bombed Berlin "you can call me Meyer". [He actually said the Ruhr but everyone, especially Germans, understood him to mean Berlin.]

Early on especially, bombs were widely scattered (many a mile or more from the target) and hitting any target in a city was just not possible. So you aimed at the railway station and actually scattered bombs all over the city. And that was during daylight. Try it at night in poor weather with AA shells exploding all around you.

Last edited:
During WWII my family had a summer home 1 block from the ocean in Bradley Beach N.J.
It was quite large with many rooms and we only rented to family for the summer.
My mother told me stories of people sitting on benches and beach chairs on the board walk at night to see any ships torpedoed by German submarines.
She told me there were quite a few during the war years.

Actually a Nazi U boat came close to the US shores. One German crew surrendered to a US Navy crew. A second U Boat was found sunk off of the gulf coast.

They u-boats did significant damage off America's shores in the early war period. They sank numerous freighters illuminated by US cities in the background before blackout rules were vigorously enforced...

Back