How fast can Mobil1 0w-30 thin out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tai

Let's say you're using M1 0w-30 in a non-turbo, with severe driving conditions. How fast can it thin out and need to be changed? If it was mixed 3-1 with M1 0w-40, would the change interval be extended?

M1 0w-30 seems to be very shear stable if you look at the UOA reports on it. In fact, according to an SAE paper published by Mobil, it may be their most shear-stable 30-weight. I think the oil's weakness is volatility not shear stability.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
M1 0w-30 seems to be very shear stable if you look at the UOA reports on it. In fact, according to an SAE paper published by Mobil, it may be their most shear-stable 30-weight. I think the oil's weakness is volatility not shear stability.

So, it's more volatile, then does that means it actually thickens?

But in Texas why even worry about it?? Just look at the posts in the UOA for the 10W-30. Really no need to fool around with anything else (IMHO)

It's shear stable and won't thin out but it is volitile. I think the NOAK is around 8-9%, which is really good, so I'm not so sure why it burns off.
dunno.gif

HTHS is one spec. In the SAE paper, 981444, Mobil has a lineup of several oils. I'm reading from a shear stability chart where they are using test method CEC-L-36-A-90 to evaluate the oils:
code:

Oil Viscosity Loss

0w-30 1%

0w-40 1.7%

5w-30 2.0%

10w-30 2.0%

mineral 5w-30 22.5%

VHVI 10w-40 5.0%

The first 4 oils are PAO/ESTER synthetics, presumably Mobil 1.

I got great gas mileage with the 0w-30--noticably better than M1 5w-30, but my Acura RSX burned twice as much of it. Go ahead and try M1 0w-30. Your car may not burn it at all. Not all cars do.

Actually, I've been using it. Got 12 quarts of Mobil 1 TS 0w-30 a while back for real cheap. Then I started worrying that it'll shear down quickly in my Miata, with the way I drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back