How far can an infrequent rider go on a ride?

Think of it this way: you've saved money on airfare, so now you have money to rent a car. How often do you get to cruise by the beach in a convertible Mustang? :)
While I enjoy a convertible, it's too hot right now for comfort. 90 with the humidity and the sun is quite strong. 65 with a light jacket is perfect.

BCA Spring Break. Pretty sure she bought it used 20 years ago.

large.jpg

Attachments

• 71F5EEEC-C4EC-4A00-8D89-5F0597D449B7.jpeg
    71F5EEEC-C4EC-4A00-8D89-5F0597D449B7.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 12
  • CA5ED58F-856E-4D0D-A12A-4A6DD1E92C96.jpeg
    CA5ED58F-856E-4D0D-A12A-4A6DD1E92C96.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 12
  • F23641A3-E6B7-4F50-A672-924EA759451F.jpeg
    F23641A3-E6B7-4F50-A672-924EA759451F.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 11
Depends. The most important thing I'd think is the terrain. I haven't really ridden in a few years but I'd think I could do a flat 10 miles pretty easily on almost any kind of bicycle. If it was one of the hilly loops that I did years ago when I was younger, then no way.

Wifes cyclocross. This bike rolls fast and has wider tires than a road bike making it more comfortable to ride in the real world.

DSC_0090.JPG

Wifes cyclocross. This bike rolls fast and has wider tires than a road bike making it more comfortable to ride in the real world.

View attachment 47656

I used "city" tires on my mountain bikes when I used them for commuting. Continental Town & Country used to be the standard bearer, but Michelin had a variety of different city tires over the years.

Still - it's amazing how much tires help with efficiency. We went on a bicycle trip at a work off-site once. We rented bikes and did it from San Francisco to Marin across the Golden Gate Bridge and back on the ferry. Everyone got a mountain bike with knobbies except for one coworker who opted for the road bike. He was easily outpacing everyone else.

A 12 mile roundtrip should be easily doable if you do it just once. If you repeat this the next day your rear end will make you suffer. Ideally, you'd work your way up to 12 miles over the course of a week. If you are skinny with a well-padded rear end it's less painful than if you are heavy with a skinny rear end. Older guys often fall in the latter category. I haven't been.bicycling much the last 3 years. That's why I keep.my rides short. Under 10 miles most of the time. I have a comfortable hybrid bike for the road and ride in an upright position and an MTB with full suspension for trails.

I have a health issue that results in severe exercise intolerance (mitochondrial dysfunction) and other problems.

I can complete a 12 mile ride, if I take it slow, and do it only once. The next few days I can't do a thing though.

So I'd say no problem on a quality bike.

A 12 mile roundtrip should be easily doable if you do it just once. If you repeat this the next day your rear end will make you suffer. Ideally, you'd work your way up to 12 miles over the course of a week. If you are skinny with a well-padded rear end it's less painful than if you are heavy with a skinny rear end. Older guys often fall in the latter category. I haven't been.bicycling much the last 3 years. That's why I keep.my rides short. Under 10 miles most of the time. I have a comfortable hybrid bike for the road and ride in an upright position and an MTB with full suspension for trails.
The best money I spent on biking was a seat upgrade. Makes a twenty mile ride for me doable and without any discomfort.

I have not ridden my road and MTB very often for the past few years. Maybe once or twice a week for maybe 5 to 15 miles. I'm starting to ride more again and just fixed up and modded a slightly older hybrid bike because I like the upright sitting position. I went for a 25-mile ride yesterday, my longest ride in a long time, and my butt doesn't hurt. Bicycling is a good way to add some low impact cardio. I do enough high-impact cardio.

Back