How expensive are these all these new fangled saftey features in cars nowdays?

Cost? What is your life or that of your passengers worth? These systems work. Just saying...
I imagine they're getting better, but a couple years ago had lots of customer complaints and experienced first hand a few instances that the vehicle would hit the brakes when passing a semi on the highway because it detected it as an obstacle even though they were in the right-hand lane (edit: just did a little googling, and there's still ongoing investigations of vehicles randomly braking with these systems)

Now after replacing the subframe they've found suspension damage. Probably be waiting another few months for parts.

Car is fixed, girl should have it by this week or next week. We'll see how good of a job they did. I have complete faith and she has little. Go figure lol.

Is there any way you can see a total cost?

a) Vehicles are going to get moderner and moderner. What rankles me bad is having to pay for bling like stupidly large screens on dashboards and the asinine, high art lighting the manufacturers design to be hep.

b) I know a lady who had a paper blow onto the front of her "auto brake equipped" car and it slammed on the brakes for her on the Turnpike at full speed. That's so uncool.

Reactions: D60
On a XLT Maverick the tech features and interior and bed upgrades cost about $2500 when I purchased in April 2022. The expensive items were heated seats, heated steering wheel, power seats, spray in bed liner and lots of minor items. The co-pilot 360 was another $650. Laziness is expensive. In total with shipping was $27,090.

Just got terrible news. Was on my way to see her and she calls and tells me she started her car up after leaving the bank and the engine started shaking violently and then the battery light turned on and the engine cut out. I don't know if it blew up or siezed up or what. She took it back to the body shop a couple weeks back due to a noise that I can only explain as timing chain noise from the passenger side of the vehicle and they told her it was normal and sent her on her way.

That's why new vehicles are safer these days. It's not like 1985 where vehicles have a steel bumper and nothing gets absorbed. Interesting how the offending vehicle caved in. Makes you wonder if they design the at fault driver to absorb more damage as a shock absorber.

Then again, after me saying all that. Isn't that how you end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life? When the engine ends up in your lap?

That's why new vehicles are safer these days. It's not like 1985 where vehicles have a steel bumper and nothing gets absorbed. Interesting how the offending vehicle caved in. Makes you wonder if they design the at fault driver to absorb more damage as a shock absorber.

Then again, after me saying all that. Isn't that how you end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life? When the engine ends up in your lap?
The engine tends to get pushed back and down. NHTSA offers nice reports that show before and post crash test pictures from various angles, Mazda CX-5 for example.

IMG_8230.jpg

We broke up but I'm still trying to help her out.

They obviously have no idea what they're doing at this point because they've replaced the fuel pump twice now and it ends up being only a temp fix.

Here's a full rundown of the problem.

THE ENGINE IS NOT SEIZING, IT'S STALLING OUT AND WILL NOT RESTART. A NEW FUEL PUMP ONLY TEMPORARILY FIXES THE ISSUE.

She's going to get rid of the car after a possible lawsuit.

Any clue as what is going on?

Back