How does this Toyota 1MZFE look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Looks like it's got quite a bit of varnish build up, but I don't see any sludge. What oil was used and at what change intervals?

About ready to buy a new Lexus rx300. I figure I'll use Mobil 1 5W-30 from the get go. I usually do break in on dino, but given the rep of the Toyota v-6, perhaps it should be synthetic from the start.

A good shot of the camshaft gear drive mechanism that Bob always talks about....I can see where you'd get oil shearing from this design.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
A good shot of the camshaft gear drive mechanism that Bob always talks about....I can see where you'd get oil shearing from this design.

Yeah, but the crankshaft is a long way from those overhead cams, so I'm having a hard time conceptualizing a completely gear-driven overhead cam system. I'm just wonder if one of the cams isn't chain driven and the gear set is to drive the other cam from the chain driven cam.

(The venerable 6.75 Rolls-Royce and Bentley V8 uses a gear driven cam design, but it's a pushrod design, so the cam is deep enough in the block that gear drive off the crank is no problem.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back