How does this oil filter rate these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this Purolator classic and was wondering if they were any good. I normally use Napa Golds(Wix) and wonder if this Purolator is on the same level. Also does anyone know if this fits a 1997 GMC Sierra with a 350 Vortec motor? No book in the store but it looks like the right size. Many thanks!

Have you not been on in a while? Purolator is having an issue with the pleats tearing. Avoid until they get the issue fixed. They dont seem to care to much about the issue, so avoid for a while.

I have not kept up! Thanks for the heads up! These are marked down to $3. I'll stick with WIX.

No they are not on the same level. The P classic would be similar to the Napa silver is how I recall it being.

As long as you run short oil change intervals (~3000 miles or so) they are just fine. Their is some current hysteria going on. Run one, cut it open and decide for yourself.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
As long as you run short oil change intervals (~3000 miles or so) they are just fine. Their is some current hysteria going on. Run one, cut it open and decide for yourself.

If it's going to tear, it will be way before 3,000 miles of use. The tearing defect is not mileage dependent, as we have seen Purolators with 2x or 3x that mileage without tears. It more use conditions and vehicle dependent ... and of course filter construction dependent. Throw all the factors in together and you get media tearing because the filter can't take it.

In the past there was never a problem, and the spectrum of vehicles and use factors hasn't change. The filter has changed in material and/or physical construction to cause this media tearing issue.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
No, probably about 40 out of the last 80 to 100 that were cut and posted here.

+1 ... there's been way too many reported failed Purolator filters here for such a small sampling group. No way that only defective Purolators get in the hands of BITOG members who also decide to cut open oil filters. Better chance of getting stuck by lighting within an hour of finding out you just won the lottery.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
THANK YOU!

[censored], i've been using Purolator since I started driving. Mainly because they were decently priced and because reviews on here said it was a good filter.

What is another brand that is in the same price range? Thanks

Originally Posted By: soyeahiknow
[censored], i've been using Purolator since I started driving. Mainly because they were decently priced and because reviews on here said it was a good filter.

What is another brand that is in the same price range? Thanks

You could always use the Fram OCOD:
37.gif

The only filters you will find in the $3 price range are going to be rebadged Fram or Purolators. Maybe you could go with Baldwin/Hastings or Wix for that price if you buy in bulk

I do like Purolator, FRAM, Wix etc. They all have good and bad filters and all make mistakes. The thing that bothers me tho, is Purolator has no explanation about why the tears are happening, or choose to ignore it, or maybe it was fluke who knows... know one but them really knows.

For $3 as said before you will have to use a Purolator or another re-branded.

Last edited:
If a Purolator is going to tear, it'll happen before 3K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back