How does the Lexus "Low Oil Level" system work?

I was asked this question; I have nevere seen the idiot light. I guess there is a sensor(s), maybe even some kinda pan float level?

Thanks in advance.

Warning is only for the incompetent that can't use a dipstick.

s-l400.jpg

The only thing I have heard about the in regards to the oil level low light is the bunch of crazy threads on the ES forums, where the oil capacity was low, but the light basically turned on once the engine ground to a halt due to lack of lubrication. Dont know what to believe, but I guess the takeway was dont rely on that light, check the dipstick religiously.

Any sensor can fail. And, this one can also sludge and varnish up. Not the brightest bunch in some of the Lexus forums. When the warning appears, most would call dealer, wait couple weeks for appointment, then whine when the engine seizes on the way to dealer. They are not capable of using the dipstick, or adding oil. The 710 cap gets in the way.

I don't know about Lexus, but sometimes the oil "idiot light" is triggered by low pressure. They don't want it to light up at idle, so it's very low pressure before it turns on.

Thank you. Have you ever seen one fail? On the Lexus forum, someone posted his dash light comes on after engine warms up, but the oil level is fine. I never knew there was such a thing...
Probably an issue with the oil pump. The dash light normally is for oil pressure, not the level. Low on oil can trigger low oil pressure but is not the only reason for the light.

There is an idiot light for low oil pressure and a low oil level sensor warning message... If either is triggered and sensors are good, then the owner/driver is a failure. LEVEL sensor is for oil level. Low oil pressure idiot light is your PSI(which could be oil level or pump PSI issue)

Besides the Lexus, my discount Jetta has a 'level sensor' too. Its message is "please check oil level"...problem is, VW left out the "pretty pretty please" or "check it now b$tch or start walking". Too many on vwvortex can't use a dipstick properly either.

Already posted a picture of Lexus's LEVEL SENSOR, so here's the oil LEVEL sensor and where it mounts on the pan:

levelsensor.jpg

oil pan.jpg

Besides the Lexus, my discount Jetta has a 'level sensor' too. Its message is "please check oil level"...problem is, VW left out the "pretty pretty please" or "check it now b$tch or start walking". Too many on vwvortex can't use a dipstick properly either.

There is a good reason why they didn’t program the message that way.

Back