How does someone even become an "Independent Expert" on watch authenticity? Specifically Rolex

I am beginning to think Rolex is the most spoofed watch on the planet. I've seen two of the sites that sell the knock-offs for $250, convert your payment to adjust for the tax in the country it ships from, and it just shows up in the mail eventually a couple weeks later. One of those had the "tick."

I once bought a replica from someone. I'm sorry, but I did not hear a tick. No. It was pretty much indistinguishable.

So, I've had a bad fake, and a great fake. So good it fooled many.

If it ticks, don't even try it.

And everyone knows, Rolex's "slide".. 8 times per second. Mine was an Automatic movement.. And yes, some have posted that "That's been beat," keep in mind, I know nothing.

So when EBAY tells me "No fakes" and has been "meticulously verified" by "independent experts.." HOW?

OH and one more thing: They used to say, "If it has a date magnification window, it's a fake" - WRONG, I forget the model.. Date just? GMT? Day & Date? I only half remember models.. I had a Submariner, the smaller face one. Gorgeous timepiece - has a date magnification window. So....

When's the last time anyone bought a wrist watch?
Well Ok I have a pocket watch but I am an electchicken
Everyone else has a pocket entertainment centre that tells time among other things

When's the last time anyone bought a wrist watch?
Well Ok I have a pocket watch but I am an electchicken
Everyone else has a pocket entertainment centre that tells time among other things

Honestly? If I went out a lot, dressed up, didn't work every day, I'd start wearing a nice looking timepiece again.

Its like a Lamborghini V-12... You don't need it, but it sure is nice.

Do not buy or wear fakes. One fake in a box of genuine pieces makes the whole collection suspect and makes you look like a total douche.
Buy from a reputable dealer new or used and have it looked at by another dealer or certified watchmaker.
I have bought a few from this company, all okay.

I am beginning to think Rolex is the most spoofed watch on the planet. I've seen two of the sites that sell the knock-offs for $250, convert your payment to adjust for the tax in the country it ships from, and it just shows up in the mail eventually a couple weeks later. One of those had the "tick."

I once bought a replica from someone. I'm sorry, but I did not hear a tick. No. It was pretty much indistinguishable.

So, I've had a bad fake, and a great fake. So good it fooled many.

If it ticks, don't even try it.

And everyone knows, Rolex's "slide".. 8 times per second. Mine was an Automatic movement.. And yes, some have posted that "That's been beat," keep in mind, I know nothing.

So when EBAY tells me "No fakes" and has been "meticulously verified" by "independent experts.." HOW?

OH and one more thing: They used to say, "If it has a date magnification window, it's a fake" - WRONG, I forget the model.. Date just? GMT? Day & Date? I only half remember models.. I had a Submariner, the smaller face one. Gorgeous timepiece - has a date magnification window. So....

True - they are the most faked.
Experience in handling the real thing is the best guide.The best way is to look inside which a watch maker can do.

Not every rolex runs at 28.8, the ones marked "superlative chronometer" run at 32K.

Many Rolex have a cyclops, when they dont actually magnify its a sign of a fake.

Id rather not wear a watch than wear a fake.

But last week the word bankruptcy was mentioned. Guess you’re in the money now?

Something like that.. Mr. PimTac, two things. First is, I didn't say I was running out and buying one, I spoke of previous ownership. Second is, ... yeah my income level has risen (rose?) :) I may even have a way to avoid the Bankruptcy mark on my life.

I appreciate you being happy for me, I really do and apologies on any confusion.

How do they even make the fakes (some of them are really, really good.)

There are a very small portion of owners of real Rolex that have a replica for everyday wearing, so as to protect the real from day to day scratches, and to some extent to lessen the risk of being mugged and losing the real deal.

Rolex is - since about 40 years ago - overpriced for what you get. That disconnect has gotten far worse in the last 4 years. If you want to spend your money on a well made watch with some measure of luxury and exclusivity there are better options than Rolex. I suggest Grand Seiko, Omega, Frederique Constant, or Tudor but this is very subjective.

I have seen, held, taken apart some replicas Rolex that are very scary to owners of reals....it will only get worse for Rolex as the financial incentive is huge and getting even crazier every day!

Not really, in that case you can get away with a homage.
+1 on that.

I'm a Seiko fan, have a number of chronographs and automatics going back to the early '80s.

I've always wanted a "Willard" and never bought when when they were overpriced. Now they're nosebleed expensive. I bought an "Homage" that doesn't pretend to be a Seiko, and it's really quite nice.

IMG-3233.JPG

When I was younger and lived in NYC, I did buy a $10 fake Gucci or something off a vendor on Canal st. I wore that for the reason Trav mentions above.

There are a very small portion of owners of real Rolex that have a replica for everyday wearing, so as to protect the real from day to day scratches, and to some extent to lessen the risk of being mugged and losing the real deal.

Rolex is - since about 40 years ago - overpriced for what you get. That disconnect has gotten far worse in the last 4 years. If you want to spend your money on a well made watch with some measure of luxury and exclusivity there are better options than Rolex. I suggest Grand Seiko, Omega, Frederique Constant, or Tudor but this is very subjective.

I have seen, held, taken apart some replicas Rolex that are very scary to owners of reals....it will only get worse for Rolex as the financial incentive is huge and getting even crazier every day!

Question.. when you say "very scary to owners of reals," they were "that good?" Did they slide almost as well as the original?

I saw one video on YouTube, they had to look at the finish on the screws, it was that close..

Question.. when you say "very scary to owners of reals," they were "that good?" Did they slide almost as well as the original?

I saw one video on YouTube, they had to look at the finish on the screws, it was that close..
Getting a 28,800 bph movement is not a problem, this will give the same smoothness of ticking on the dial as Rolex submariner. You can use a ETA, Sellita, or some of the Chinese clones of the ETA that have the same occilation frequency.

You need to have the following characteristics to mimic a Rolex Submariner movement:
28,800 beats per hour - 8hz
hacking - means the sweep second hand stops when the crown is pulled out to the fullest extent
hand winding with some smoothness - can't feel or sound like a cheap toy car.
Rotor that winds the mainspring from the movement of the rotor in either CCW or CW direction

An ETA or Sellita will be $120 to $200 and the Chinese clones are about 40% of the ETA or Sellita movements. Miyota (Citizen) make their 9xxx series movements with same frequency as Rolex, but these are easy to identify because the automatic rotor only winds in one direction, the rotor free wheels in the opposite.

I have seen very high calibre copies of the Rolex movement, the Chinese have copied EVERYTHING in a Rolex 3135 movement, down to the perlage on the movement plates. When you open up one of these expensive replicas most watchmakers would feel confident to say they are looking at a real Rolex. For this reason, the sourcing of a used genuine Rolex is very risky. You must do your homework, and buy the SELLER, not the watch.

Is your purpose in owning a knock-off Rolex to make people believe you're wearing a real Rolex?

If so, buy a knock-off Rolex. Nothing else is going to satisfy you. Don't waste money though. Buy whatever junk you find on eBay. The people you're trying to impress won't know the difference.

Well, again, I'm not buying anytime soon..

I once bought a replica from someone.

However. If I were to answer the question, and let's say I were to buy one.. If anyone ever "called me out" on it? And asked me if it was real? I'd say no.

My generation, they usually ask, "How much did you pay for that" and I'm a bad liar, so.

Not really, in that case you can get away with a homage.

I think, since this aspect was mentioned, that if you are one of those, "IT'S REAL! YEAH IT'S REAL!" .. That's when you get the ire of cheapening the brand, etc. If you represent it as real and it is not.

Like that Hummer on YouTube that was really a Ford F-250..

Back