how does racetrack time affect M1 extended drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

If you have the 10W stuff i n you should be good for the 5.5K if the 5W I would change. What you could do is change filters and use 15W-50 as makeup.

I was using 10w-30, should've mentioned that. I'm thinking about doing it around 4-5k now, because the last UOA had about 6 autocrosses (each autocross is 4 runs, so 24 runs more or less), and this oil will only have one autocross done on it. Therefore, I think the portion of hard driving will be somewhat close to each other.

I recently went to a open lapping day at Grattan Raceway (Michigan), and did about five 20 min sessions (total of about 140 miles on 12 gallons of gas). Recently I had a UOA at 5k that showed I could go to about 5.5k just fine with all my highway driving. Do you think this time at the track would decrease the oil purity enough to change the oil at 4 or 4.5k instead? The car is a mostly stock 01 Neon, and I was driving mostly aggresivley (but smooth) with the engine usually in the 3.5-6k range (redline at 6.5k).

isaac004, I believe this one falls under the heading: "If you wanna play, you gotta play" department.

The high RPMs should shear the oil down fairly quickly (are you running 10W30?) and the high loads may deplete the barrier anti-wear package faster as well.
frown.gif

Plus, your car will probably experience a little accelerated wear during that time and it might not be a bad idea to dump the contaminated oil & filter not too long after.
dunno.gif

I would dump the oil after about 3,000 miles tops ... but you could always do another UOA and post it here. Could be interesting.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back