How does Mobil 1 0W-30 compare to the German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Mobil 1 0W-30 compare to the German Castrol 0W-30? The Mobil 1 would be much easier to find and if they produce similar results then it does not matter that the German Castrol is so hard to find.

I assume that the two oils would flow at about the same low temperature. How do they protect at high temperature? Some peopel here say that Mobil 1 tends to be a little thin and the German Castrol at higher temperatures is apparently almost like a 40 wt.

Two completely different animals! Castrol has a bunch of manufacturer approvals on top of ACEA A3/B3 rating. Mobil 1 0W-30 is pretty weak in this area, by comparison. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the one that is similar to Castrol 0W-30.

My question is like Mystic's except its the other way around for me. In Edmonton I can't buy Mobil 1 0w30 at all. I can get 0w40 at the Mercedes and VW dealers for about $9-10/L.Too expensive. I can buy Castrol 0w30 (German) and Delvac 5w40 7 days a week cheaply at Wal-Mart.

Is Castrol 0w30 as good as Mobil 1 0w40?

How well would Mobil 1 0W-40 work in a Saturn designed to run with 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils? Would the 0W-40 flow as good as a conventional 5W-30 or conventional 10W-30?

quote:

How well would Mobil 1 0W-40 work in a Saturn designed to run with 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils?

Try running it and testing. Your asking questions that you can't answer out of the blue....

buster, it just may be possible that somebody has experience with 0W-40 Mobil 1, and might be able to answer that question I asked 'out of the blue.' Just like if I had experience with a certain brand of oil that you had a question about, and I might be able to help you. Isn't that one of the things we do at this web site-help each other? There is a possibility that a few people at this web site may have used 0W-40, perhaps even in a Saturn.

You were pounding Patman, also. I suppose if Patman feels that Mobil 1 is not as good as some other synthetic oils, that is his right to feel that way. And he is not the only person who seems to feel Mobil 1 may not be quite the greatest-there have been a lot of guys who have talked about using Schaeffer's #132 and mixing in Mobil 1 15W-50 to 10W-30 Mobil 1 to thicken it a little.

I do not know if you noticed it or not, but there was a guy today who went completely off on Patman. All because Patman questioned him suggesting the use of Delo in a turbo-charged car. We are all entitled to our opinions at this web site. It is fine if people have disagreements, but they should be able to discuss their differences and act like decent human beings.

The guy who likes to use Delo in everything-that is fine with me; he can do that if he wants to. Patman does not believe in Delo in a small turbo-charged car-that is fine with me also. I myself have sometimes wondered about using a diesel engine oil in my own car, since a lot of those diesel oils seem to be top quality oils. But I can also see Patman's point of view.

I have a lot of respect for Bob and Patman. Imagine the time they have to put in to make this web site work. I am sure that they have their own jobs and their own lives to live.

None of us have the final answers concerning motor oil, oil filters, etc. If there were final answers this web site would not exist. We are all searching for the right motor oil, and the right oil filter, etc. No matter what our differences, we are all on the same search.

Thanks for the kind words Mystic!
cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Correction...

A1/A5 are HT/HS of 2.9-3.5
A3 is HT/HS of >3.5

M-1 0-30 is A1/A5 rated because it's similar to their 5-30/10-30 products which means on the thinner side of a 30 weight...

The German Syntec is A3 rated in addtion to the other qualifying specs eg. VW, BMW LLife, MB....so yes, it is a better product. Period. In any engine it's used.

PS> and yes, you can safely use M-1 0-40 in a Saturn as the 30 weight grades are exclusively U.S./CAFE phenomenon and have nothing to do with "protection" of you engine (at any temp.).

quote:

buster, it just may be possible that somebody has experience with 0W-40 Mobil 1, and might be able to answer that question I asked 'out of the blue.' Just like if I had experience with a certain brand of oil that you had a question about, and I might be able to help you. Isn't that one of the things we do at this web site-help each other? There is a possibility that a few people at this web site may have used 0W-40, perhaps even in a Saturn.

You were pounding Patman, also. I suppose if Patman feels that Mobil 1 is not as good as some other synthetic oils, that is his right to feel that way. And he is not the only person who seems to feel Mobil 1 may not be quite the greatest-there have been a lot of guys who have talked about using Schaeffer's #132 and mixing in Mobil 1 15W-50 to 10W-30 Mobil 1 to thicken it a little.

Mystic, I am not pounding anyone. I'm trying to be as OBJECTIVE as possible by saying Mobil 1 hasn't shown to be the greatest, best or worst in any case. We simply have not seen enough UOA's is what I'm saying. Why is Redline considered to be the best by some yet it hasn't shown it yet....lets all be patient. I could care less what oil is the best, but I want to be as fair as possible about it. I'm not interested in what spec sheets say.
cheers.gif

As far as the question, I just think we get to many repetitive questions that tie up the board. There is only one way to find out and that is too run a search or UOA. Patman and Bob are great guys and I have a lot of respect for them. They both no more about oil then I do, I'm just trying to be as fair as possible.
smile.gif

[ July 10, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

M1 0w30 is rated A5/B5; M1 is rated A3/B3/B4-02. The difference between the A3 & A5 ratings is that A3 has HT/HS 2.9-3.5 mPa.s, & A5 has HT/HS >3.5 mPa.s. Seems to me the oils are for two different engine applications, not that one is better than the other. I'd imagine the German Castrol 0w30 is somewhere in-between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back