How does Fram Honda PS Fluid Compare to Genuine Honda PS Fluid

I am familiar with the FRAM HPSF from AAP but not its chemistry.
However, IME with aftermarket HPSF from other blenders is that they’re fine but there is a noticeable difference somewhere below ZERO degrees where the steering can often be “catchy/sticky” till the fluid warms up. Then it’s fine again.

Yeah I might have to grab them. Doesn't get sub 0 where I live and I sure hope I don't move somewhere where it does. You guys know sealed shelf life of bottles probably wouldn't use 2nd for 2-5 years. Also in theory could a subpar fluid shorten the life of a steering rack?

I always use the Asian formula from Walmart. Prestone maybe? The only oem dealership fluid I use is the Honda DW-1 atf.

Idk I don’t use that much so I just pick up some from an online dealer when I’m ordering parts. How much are we going through here?

Not a ton of fluid. But using the method where I pump it out of the reservoir, I've probably used 5 or 6 Honda bottles over the past 3 years and it's still pretty dark. Honda ones are about 20/36oz which isn't a huge deal.

Yeah that's true. But when pumping it out it never really turned clear. Probably being OCD but that's what this forum is for.

Man that is a sweet deal. The Element is in need of some drain and fills. I am tempted to try it as I have only used Honda ps fluid in it, granted I don't know what the previous owners ran. Let me know how it goes

Not a ton of fluid. But using the method where I pump it out of the reservoir, I've probably used 5 or 6 Honda bottles over the past 3 years and it's still pretty dark. Honda ones are about 20/36oz which isn't a huge deal.
I use the MityVac connected to the return line. Suck it dry; fill the reservoir and pull the fresh fluid through. Cleaning the reservoir with brake clean is not a bad idea... Let the reservoir run low to make hooking up the return line less messy. Fill reservoir, start engine and bleed.

Easy peasy, fast and pretty through. Fluid is clean and stays that way for a long time. Good luck.

Reactions: wlk
Yes I should have updated it it's actually 2 for 10***. Quite a deal. I am gonna try it. I don't have a MITY vac but I have a hand fluid pump, so I can just siphon out some here and there and eventually it will be clean. Using pump I avoid messiness of a turkey baster. And at 5 bucks a quart who cares.

Do you guys know the shelf life of the unopened bottles? Napa site says 3-5 years, but I think they kind of want to sell more ;)

Last edited:
Yes I should have updated it it's actually 2 for 10***. Quite a deal. I am gonna try it. I don't have a MITY vac but I have a hand fluid pump, so I can just siphon out some here and there and eventually it will be clean. Using pump I avoid messiness of a turkey baster. And at 5 bucks a quart who cares.

Do you guys know the shelf life of the unopened bottles? Napa site says 3-5 years, but I think they kind of want to sell more ;)
Instead of doing it a little at a time, may I suggest doing a full drain/fill to replace all at once (mityvac is easiest as @JeffKeryk said, but it is also pretty easy without). Just raise the front wheels, suck the reservoir dry, pull the return line from the reservoir and have a helper hold it into a 16 oz waste container. Then turn the key to RUN with the engine OFF, and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to expel all of the old fluid. Then reattach the return line to the reservoir, fill with new fluid, and turn the wheels lock to lock a few more times. Refill and repeat once or twice until the fluid level no longer drops. Start the car and turn lock to lock a few times, and then top it off if necessary. Done.

Last edited:
Back