How does Amsoil pricing work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This summer I bought several quarts of Amsoil 10w40 Motorcycle specific oil for just over 4 bucks a quart. At that time, I figured that was by far my best option, since I wanted to stick with MC specific oils and it was about the same price as M1 for cars.

So, then a month or two back, I wanted to change my DRZ oil, so I went to the local cycle shop to get a filter. They had Amsoil there, but it was over 7 bucks a quart. Since I only needed two quarts, I decided to just buck up and pay it. Then I went to the local marine store, to get waterproof grease for my swingarm bolt. They had the same oil for about 5 bucks a quart. Argh!

So... now since I have decided to strictly use it, I talked to my buddy who is some type of Amsoil preferred customer, and had him price me out a case. He supposedly gets a better deal on it than your average Joe. It came out to be about 7.20 a quart. What the??? He says it must have really went up in price lately. [non MC specific was only about a buck cheaper]

So, I guess my point is... how in the heck do they price this stuff? The pricing scale must totally depend on volume buying? How can it fluctuate from 4 bucks to over 7 bucks? I'm having my bro go check the place I bought it for 4 bucks... if its still that cheap I'm buying at least a case of it.

Amsoil has several grades/levels of oil; are you sure you're talking apples to apples here?
Amsoil XL, a blend, is reasonably priced at a area chain(Fleet/Farm), but their better products are much more expensive.
MC oil is generally overpriced anyway, so you got a deal.
Most MC oils aren't much different that their auto counterparts. Remember P.T. Barnum?

Stores can charge pretty much whatever they want. If you saw ANY of the oils for $4 qt - it's time to back the truck up. Volume or no, if that's fresh oil - they are not making any money at $4 qt*. I'm surprised you didn't realize this right off as you are member #2933.

*Also you do realize there is a newer and older version of 10W-40. The key is to read the product code on the reverse label.

What's so bad about buying from a site sponsor and supporting BiTOG? Free shipping!

I just went to buy some oil and Mobil 1 had gone from 4.99 to 5.99 a qt and RP from 5.99 to 6.99 a qt in the last few months.

Well, the same watch battery that was $9 at the jewelers is $3.95 at K-Mart.

Pricing at AMSOIL depends on cost of materials, cost of production, cost of delivery, cost of warehousing, cost of packing and shipping, cost of personnel to run the company, taxes, etc. Yep, and there is even a profit built in.

There have been 3 price rises in the last year or so. I agree with Paul--hasn't been any $4 a qt Motorcycle oil for years.

I'm wondering if EM didn't see these price increases coming and thus created the EP line. IIRC, EP is now up to ~$28/5-qt jug, regular M1, ~$22/5-qt jug, at the Wally's Chinese Import Emporium.

Local NAPA and independent mechanics pricing is the same as the prices listed at Amsoil's website. No screaming bargain but no rip off either.

Per quart examples:
XL series $6
ATM & ASL $7
AFT $9
80w-90 $9

Retail

Dealers and Preferred Customers 20% off retail

Commercial Customers 30% off retail

Think there might even be a wholesale, but not sure.

Regalman,

You're comparing apples to oranges....

The original Amsoil 10w-40, motorcycle oil was simply their "AMO", 10w-40 product with a different label. It's now called their "Premium Performance" 10w-40 and is still JASO/MA rated for motorcycles. Retail is approx $7.00/qt and dealer pricing is about 25% less.

The new 10w-40 ("MCF") oil your friend priced is a recent product that is purpose built for motorcycle use. It starts out thicker, is much more shear stable, provides better transmission protection (meets 80w-90, GL-1), maintains more consistent shift quality and offers better off-season rust/corrosion protection. In short it's a very significant improvement over the old stuff. Suggested retail on this is approx $8.35/qt and dealer cost is approx 25% less.

I'd recommend using the new stuff and increasing the OCI by 50% over what you were doing.

TS

A commercial customer is a business that buys the oil for thier own company vehicles. They are not to sell it,just use it. When I signed up with a commercial account I had to list how many tractors,trucks,ect.I owned.

And "JASCO" is not the same as "JASO".

rolleyes.gif

The particular additive chemistry Amsoil is buying for their Motorcycle and Four Stroke lubes aleady has been tested to meet the JASO MA/MA2 specs, hence their fully formulated oil does as well.

JASO MA simply measures how much torque the oil can transmit through a wet clutch setup.

TS

There is no return on investment in getting official approval for that market...strictly a business decision.

Where Amsoil feels there is a payoff, such as getting their four stroke marine oils, NMMA TC-W certified, they have gone ahead and done so.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back