How do you tell a know it all he's wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best MPG mod would be buying a $2500 econo-box with a $500 repair fund. Lots of repairs can be done for $500 when DIY.

Are there ore trains that roll through? He should tie up his bindle and hobo his way across the country.

Tell him I'll trade him my '93 6.2 truck for it-that'll at least get him up to 21-22 MPG in a full size vehicle-who would be stupid enough to butcher a VALUABLE CLASSIC like that!!

Tell him there's a reason why econoboxes don't have huge rumpity rumpity cams, don't have high rise intakes, and did have secondaries on the carburators.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Why do you want to tell him he is wrong? Did he ask your opinion? If it is his money and he's made his decision that this is what he wants to do, then get on with it.
he started in asking how to replace his a6 compressor with an r4 then he told us his plan and and what we thought so. I told him what I thought.

Why would anyone want to use an r4 compressor? That was problem #1.

I'd simply say that he is getting the work done at his own risk unless he sits with you for a blueprinting session which costs $150. Then make an invoice that holds no guarantees, perhaps even states that MPG improvements are not anticipated and not guaranteed, and then do the work and take his $.

Of course when he doesnt get a benefit, he will come back to tell you how wrong you did, and youll have all these things to throw back at him. Just tell him that youll see him in court. If that day comes, take all the basis of what he wanted and why you were against it with you and it's done.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Chris142 said:
Why would anyone want to use an r4 compressor? That was problem #1.

Yup. I agree with that too. The A6 while heavy is a much better compressor than the R4. He wants to drop the 305 in with it's newer style acessories and have us make the AC lines up.

BTW: Same guy removed a SB400 from his pickup and put an indstrial 366 BB in it thinking he would get better mpg. He went from 11-14 mpg to 6 mpg.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
But it also seems you have some trouble communicating technical concepts.

Yup I know that it won't work and I can see the problem clearly in my head but I can't really explain it well.

I can picture a vacuum guage sitting on about 4 inches vacuum and the metering rods letting fuel pour out of the jets.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
But it also seems you have some trouble communicating technical concepts.

Yup I know that it won't work and I can see the problem clearly in my head but I can't really explain it well.

I can picture a vacuum guage sitting on about 4 inches vacuum and the metering rods letting fuel pour out of the jets.
grin.gif

In this situation, when you formulate your responses, first think about where you are coming from, then from where he must be coming from, and then explain your concept in the context of where he is.

In this case, he has two operative concepts in mind (low RPM, and making power). Unfortunately, the two concepts aren't compatible - in fact, they are diametrically opposed. Now, if you could switch his power concept thinking to be more about engine efficiency, it would be compatible with the low RPM concept and you might have a convert.

You have a good mind and you seem to really care about what is best for the customer. Direct some of your CPU cycles to observing and thinking about how people work and I guarantee you will see the results.
thumbsup2.gif

BTW: Same guy removed a SB400 from his pickup and put an indstrial 366 BB in it thinking he would get better mpg. He went from 11-14 mpg to 6 mpg.

You know, I may have to take back everything I have said in this thread. The simplicity of this person's thinking is incredible. I'm not sure he is reachable...

But if I needed an example to support my own case, I would start with this experience he has already had.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Those of you who think you know it all are really irritating to those of us that do.

crackmeup2.gif

01.gif

We get people in like that all the time. I just nod and say "sounds cool drive it by when its done so we can check it out."

The problem, especially in lawsuit happy CA, is when you give opinions like that you are opening up a can of worms for them to sue you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back