How do you select the correct oil type for a brushcutter?

Stihl Ultra HP is another good candidate. There has been some reports that TCW3 oils leave hard deposits due to the higher running temps of air cooled equipment and might not be good choices for things like chainsaws and brush cutters so keep an eye out for that.

Another vote for Amsoil Saber. I run at 50/1. No smell and barely any smoke. I started using it 10 years ago and have not cleaned an exhaust screen since. Buy a quart for about $16-17 and it is much cheaper than buying the small bottles from the others. Also use non-ethanol gas if possible.

Any good castor based 2t oil will be fine. I personally recommend Maxima 927 just for the fact that little motor screams at high rpm most all the time.

Stihl HP and HP Ultra are two of the worst oils you can get. They're both JASO FB. Stihl used to sell HP Super and it was a JASO FD certified oil but you can't get it in the US anymore.

I have two small bottles of Stihl HP Ultra on hand and was thinking of mixing it with E0 gas at 250:1 to fill my lesser used machines. I figure that a light coat of oil inside a carburetor might not be such a bad thing. Opinions on either side of that thought would be welcome.

I'm assuming you're referring to 4 stroke machines?

Naturally.
Just checking as it was a 2-stroke thread.

Any time I added MMO (never really used 2 stroke oil) to the gas of my equipment was for the valves. I doubt there was any real benefit, but some things are passed down and it never really hurt either. My rider with a 13.5HP B&S is 19 years old and still runs awesome.
I've seen all sorts of ways to keep carbs clean and for me, the best way is using E0 and Stabil. I just fired up my log splitter yesterday after a month and she fired on one pull. I would probably save the Ultra for my saws and run treated E0.
BTW, I have never had an issue with either HPU or Stihl's Motomix.

Chickanic had a you tube video on the Stihl 2 cycle oil. It seems like that if you don't run hard at full throttle most of the time it tends to plug up the exhaust more easily than other 2 cycle oils. It's an interesting video.
I watch her channel - She's pretty cool. I believe she gave the oil accolades for engine cleanliness and wear and blamed the government and emissions for any perceived issues with exhaust screens at part throttle.

I have had zero issues running Stihl HPU or Motomix. I also run VP and Harvest King premix and make my own when I need a large batch.
The equipment is designed to be run at full throttle, and I have not had any premature screen clogging.

What makes you say that?

JASO FD oils have higher detergency and engine cleanliness performance as well as meeting the lubricity and low smoke requirements. JASO FD oils deliver superior performance to both JASO FB and JASO FC in all the evaluated areas. Since Stihl Ultra and HP are FB rated oils they are dirty and overpriced for what you get.

JASO FD oils have higher detergency and engine cleanliness performance as well as meeting the lubricity and low smoke requirements. JASO FD oils deliver superior performance to both JASO FB and JASO FC in all the evaluated areas. Since Stihl Ultra and HP are FB rated oils they are dirty and overpriced for what you get.

There are a lot of threads on arborist forums as to why Stihl has not submitted their oils for FD testing, but the consensus is that Stihl oils are still great oils/fuels and work well in Stihl equipment. Motomix is 93 octane with syn HP oil and stabilizer built in. Slightly expensive, but certainly not the worst you can get. I speak from experience rather than a rating on the bottle. To each his own.

There are a lot of threads on arborist forums as to why Stihl has not submitted their oils for FD testing, but the consensus is that Stihl oils are still great oils/fuels and work well in Stihl equipment. Motomix is 93 octane with syn HP oil and stabilizer built in. Slightly expensive, but certainly not the worst you can get. I speak from experience rather than a rating on the bottle. To each his own.
Bottom line is is that Stihl Ultra is a oil that Stihl says meets JASO FB. A 2-stroke engine ran on this oil will be dirtier on the inside then an engine ran with an FD oil.
https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...468-63684/HP-Ultra-two-stroke-engine-oil.aspx
Really the only reason why Stihl came out with this oil is because of the 4-Mix engines. If you enjoy the smell of burning plastic then by all means use this oil.

Last edited:
Bottom line is is that Stihl Ultra is a oil that Stihl says meets JASO FB. A 2-stroke engine ran on this oil will be dirtier on the inside then an engine ran with an FD oil.
https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...468-63684/HP-Ultra-two-stroke-engine-oil.aspx
Really the only reason why Stihl came out with this oil is because of the 4-Mix engines. If you enjoy the smell of burning plastic then by all means use this oil.

Again, my Stihl saws ports, pistons and screens are clean. Never an issue running Stihl oils/fuel.

What fuel do you use in your equipment / saws? Your screen name is a weed whacker, so I would think you could share some experience using Stihl fuels and what fuel you currently use. How do the pistons, internals looks, etc.

Again, my Stihl saws ports, pistons and screens are clean. Never an issue running Stihl oils/fuel.

What fuel do you use in your equipment / saws? Your screen name is a weed whacker, so I would think you could share some experience using Stihl fuels and what fuel you currently use. How do the pistons, internals looks, etc.
Yes you're right freischneider means brush cutter in German. That's what my Austrian wife calls it so hence my username. Also the FS in the model numbers on Stihl trimmers means freischneider. Over the years I've used No Smoke 2 Stroke, Kawasaki K-Tech (same as Citgo air-cooled) Echo Powerblend X, VP syn and most recently Husqvarna XP+. My Husky dealer sells the 2.5 gallon mix bottles for less than $15 out the door for a six pack. I do buy a six pack of the Stihl Ultra whenever I buy a new piece of Stihl equipment to double the warranty but I just give it away or use it for drill bit lube. I tried using it but it's Smoky and it stinks like burning plastic. I've even tried the orange bottle Stihl HP but there again it stinks with a strong rank petroleum smell. I am sort of sensitive to petrochemical smells. I only use 90 octane non ethanol I have no need of any canned fuel. First thing I do when I get a new piece of equipment is to toss the spark arrestor screen. I don't have any photos but the insides of everything looks good when viewed from the spark plug hole and when removing the muffler. Everything works good so I have no reason to do a complete teardown. I have Stihl, Husky, Shindaiwa, Echo, and Maruyama equipment. I always make sure that the carburetor is adjusted properly.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of stihl’s oil either. It stinks to high heaven and seems to run pretty filthy and for the price just about anything else seems better. When I have to buy some to extend my warranty I keep a couple of the little bottles in the truck for emergencies and use the rest for bar and chain oil.

Back