How do you select the correct oil type for a brushcutter?

How can I search for the correct type of oil for the Husqvarna 553RS brushcutter?

The brushcutter has a 50.6 cm³ X-Torq engine.

The best oil Husqvarna offers for it is probably the XP® Synthetic.

Is there a way to search for equivalent oils from other manufacturers based on certain specs as it happens with automotive oils?

Amsoil Saber Pro

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion!

But are there any specs I should look at, as it happens with automotive oils? I'm asking because I want to know how I can do a search myself, without having to ask other people for suggestions every time I need an oil other than a car oil.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion!

But are there any specs I should look at, as it happens with automotive oils? I'm asking because I want to know how I can do a search myself, without having to ask other people for suggestions every time I need an oil other than a car oil.

Amsoil Saber Pro is going to have the specs your Brushcutter needs. Look at your owners manual and it will probably tell you that your machine requires a JASO-FD oil or an oil that meets that rating. You can probably compare the Husqvarna 2 stroke oil with Amsoil Saber Pro by looking at the Safety Data Sheets.

Aren't there any other specs in the game as viscosity? Do all 2 stroke oils have the same viscosity?
Good question, I don't really know if it matters, they all have to have a kinematic viscosity over 6.5 Cst at 100C but it doesn't say what mix ratio?. The mix ratio determines how much oil goes into the engine of course but I believe only so much oil stays in the bearings, and on the cylinder walls, etc.
I just run everything at 32:1 with name brand FC or FD oil and have never had a problem except for a cheap chainsaw cat plug up, but a drill fixed that. Its emission certification was only for 50hrs and I was way over that so who knows if my rich mix caused it. I don't have any new xtorq stuff, just my 372xp saw, little husky 141 plastic saw, older brush saws, snowmobiles and a 1996 YZ250, so nothing is too picky about 2T oil or ratios.
For your machine in warranty I'd run the husky syn or another name brand oil, at the recommended ratio or a touch richer with high enough octane gas and not worry about it.

Good question, I don't really know if it matters, they all have to have a kinematic viscosity over 6.5 Cst at 100C but it doesn't say what mix ratio?. The mix ratio determines how much oil goes into the engine of course but I believe only so much oil stays in the bearings, and on the cylinder walls, etc.
I just run everything at 32:1 with name brand FC or FD oil and have never had a problem except for a cheap chainsaw cat plug up, but a drill fixed that. Its emission certification was only for 50hrs and I was way over that so who knows if my rich mix caused it. I don't have any new xtorq stuff, just my 372xp saw, little husky 141 plastic saw, older brush saws, snowmobiles and a 1996 YZ250, so nothing is too picky about 2T oil or ratios.
For your machine in warranty I'd run the husky syn or another name brand oil, at the recommended ratio or a touch richer with high enough octane gas and not worry about it.
Don't 2T oils come with different viscosity grades like automotive oils? Do they ever mention SAE grades on the bottle or not?
By the way, you mentioned octane. The manufactured does not give an octane recommendation at all, as far as I cane see. I guess that means the engine can operate with normal fuel.

The only time viscosity of 2 cycle oil becomes much of a consideration is in oil injected applications in cold weather use. Think snowmobiles or sometimes ATVs. When premixed with gas it doesn’t matter.

I have never seen a 2-cycle oil with a viscosity rating. Since the oil is diluted so much, the viscosity is not really a factor.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

The only time viscosity of 2 cycle oil becomes much of a consideration is in oil injected applications in cold weather use. Think snowmobiles or sometimes ATVs. When premixed with gas it doesn’t matter.

Isn't always premixed in 2 stroked engines? Or are there any 2T engine with a carter?

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Isn't always premixed in 2 stroked engines? Or are there any 2T engine with a carter?
For small power equipment yes they all use premix but larger 2 stroke machines are often oil injected so you don’t mix the oil and gas yourself.

For small power equipment yes they all use premix but larger 2 stroke machines are often oil injected so you don’t mix the oil and gas yourself.
OK. I got it. The mix happens during injection. I guess that's a way to ensure that the right ratio of fuel and oil is always provided to the engine.

Amsoil may say that it is JASO FD certified but it is not according to JALOS
I think as @Brian123 also mentioned that Amsoil does the same with other products of its range too. Anyway, it's not really cheaper than Husqvarna or Stihl synthetic oils. For cars it makes sense to buy motor oil from other manufacturers, because the oil from the dealership is always way too expensive, but as I said it seems that's not the case for 2T mix oils.

Just use the husky oil. If you keep everything in good working order you will never wear it out because of oil unless you are using it professionally day in and out. Even then oil isn’t going to be an issue.

If it has the Jasco FC/FD rating or is from a reputable 2 stroke manufacture like Husky, Stihl, Echo or whatever you won’t have an issue.

Jaso FD is the oil spec.

The viscosity of the oil doesn’t matter because it’s being mixed with gasoline at 50 parts gasoline to 1 part oil; it’s viscosity is thus the same as gasoline (very thin)

Run 50:1 ratio. It’s all the engine needs. It will last longer and have less issues at 50:1 than running it at 40:1 or 32:1. More oil causes more carbon which scores the cylinders and causes premature wear and compression loss.

How much use on this machine? Commercial? Home owner? If it’s a home owner trimmer, and will realistically use less than a gallon of fuel per year, you can’t go wrong with the premixed fuel. It’s a solid buy. $4.98 a can at Home Depot and uses very good JASO FD synthetic oil by VP Racing fuels.

As others have mentioned, you need an oil that is JASO FD certified. My Husky dealer sells their XP+ oil for a competitive price so that's what I use now. It doesn't have any offensive smell when it's burned so that's a plus.

Back