How do you organize your car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it might be fun to talk about how we organize the inside of our cars. Most people who visit auto forums on a regular basis are probably pretty particular about their cars, so there's probably some interesting and good ideas out there. I'll go first. (This is on the Accord.)

1. I have a between-the-seat-and-console organizer for my work phone, personal phone, bluetooth headsets, and mp3 player.
2. I keep a folded up napkin in the bottom of the cup holders to absorb condensation from cold drinks.
3. I set a wastebasket on the floorboard directly behind me while driving to put napkins, tissues, bottle caps, or other waste. It never goes on the floor!
4. I keep a box of Kleenex on the floor behind the driver's seat, right beside the waste basket. I always seem to be needing one of those.
5. I keep my umbrella closed and slid neatly under the driver's seat from the back side.
6. I rarely keep coins in the coin holder since my big hands and fingers have a hard time getting them out of that little, grabby holder.
7. I have a radar detector, and I route the power cord (straight, not coiled) so that it hangs through the top left corner of the glove box and out of my way. It's plugged into the front/top power outlet.
8. I keep the seat down low since I'm kinda tall from the waste up. I recline it about average, I guess.
9. I keep a few odds and ends in the front console compartment, including breath mints, pack of gum, pen, small calculator, and small notepad.
10. I keep a tire pressure gauge and small utility knife in the top part of the center console.
11. I keep my power splitter and three charger cords plugged in the bottom of the console, and routed out the right side so I don't have to look at them. They hang neatly out of the way on the passenger's side of the console unless in use.
12. I also keep a few napkins in the center console, just in case.
13. I keep a microfiber towel in the door side pocket for those little dusting and polishing jobs. I also keep a white utility towel under the seat for cleanups, wiping my sweaty brow, etc.
14. My briefcase and computer go in the back seat behind me.
15. The only thing I keep in the trunk is a flat, rectangular plastic container with a small tool kit, microfiber towels, white utility rags, whisk broom, armor all and wiper (for the tires only), and a small portable fan for the hotel rooms (I have to have a fan when I sleep!)

I guess that's about it. Is that OCD enough? Or are there others out there worse than me?!

Space is at a premium in my truck, so I do not carry a whole lot. In the glove box, I have some napkins, a tire pressure gauge, cell phone car charger, and a pocket knife. Behind the seat I have gloves, paper towels, and any other junk that gets tossed back there. Coins go in one of the cup holders, and my phone goes in the phone/cigarette pocket thing under the A/C controls (some Rangers get an ash tray there, some get the pocket). Any trash usually goes on the floor (plastic floor covering, no carpet to mess up) and is tossed as soon as I am near a trash can. CDs all go in the holder on the sun visor.

I have not found a reasonably priced organizer that I like. Some Rangers have a storage tray behind the seat, but I have not been able to find one that is the same color as my truck's interior (dark gray) for sale.

I hear all 8 cylinders running and then and only then do I know my truck is organized !!!

My truck is very organized. Craftsman metric tool kit in the back. Tire pressure guage attached to the wheel lock. Both cellphone and Sirius battery chargers in the glove box, ect., ect.

On the other hand, my wife is a whole different story. We went to go on a trip last week and it took her 1/2 hour to get rid of the junk in the trunk. Newspapers, sale ads, clothes that never quite made to Goodwill yet, books, ect.,ect. I couldn't even see the carpeting it was so full. I told her if she ever gets a flat tire on the hiway, she would get a ticket for littering with all the stuff back there.

Glove box: Travel wallet w/ gas credit cards & coins, insurance card, expenses booklet, a pen, and a calculator for figuring gas mileage, plus owner's manual. Not much room in the glove box, at all.

Little bin under the stereo: sunglasses and electronic tag for paying tolls on the GNO bridge.

Upper console bin: Tire gauge, gloves for cool weather driving, breath mints; the stereo faceplate goes in there when I remove it.

Lower console bin: Maintenance booklets, cotton towel for wiping wet surfaces.

Hat shelf: the car has a built-in cubby with the first-aid kit.

Driver's door pocket: nylon wallet with New Orleans maps (and, left over from my Colorado days, maps of Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, and downtown Denver).

Back seat: folded windshield sun reflector.

Trunk: Tire wrench and bottle jack; jumper cables; a gardening pad to kneel on; nylon tool bag w/ flashlight, quick detail spray and towel, magnetic screwdriver, can of tire sealant foam, hand cleaner. Also the folded sun reflector for the rear window.

I keep my car empty, except for the seasonal ice scraper. I think the car looks best empty.

Some people treat their car like an attic.

In 2004 WRX wagon:

1) Umbrella in front door.
2) older digital camera, registration and bright mini flash light in cubby between seats
3) $50 cash under floor mat
4) tow strap, quart of unopened SuperTech, brand new wipers, mag light, somthing called a "space blanket" from grandparents, set of never used tire cables(modern chains),spring water bottle all under cargo area
5) backseat is my 19 months old toy bin, crackers, animal cookies, water bottles, diapers inc too small ones, wipes

Quote:

I've got kids...everything on the floor.

I've got kids, too...still nothing goes on the floor that doesn't belong. At least, it doesn't stay there for long.
smile.gif

Glove box contains maps, owner's manual, mileage and maintenance records, flashlight, pen, sunglasses, and pressure gauge.

Bottom center console contains napkins and some change.

Top center console contains garage door opener and gum.

Trunk storage spaces contain some basic tools, gloves, Eat-More bars, booster cables. In winter, there's some winter gear, a shovel, and a brush back there too.

I keep my car very tidy. Nothing is ever left in view.
smile.gif

Quote:

5. I keep my umbrella closed and slid neatly under the driver's seat from the back side.

You drive a convertible?
wink.gif

I don't own an umbrella. I prefer draping myself in Gore-Tex (on the boat).

In my trunk I have an Acura Trunk Organizer which I use to store spare oil, fuel additives, funnels, rags, etc. I also have a pack of jumper cables and 2 10" subwoofers in the hatch. Inside the car I have a nice coin holder in the little tray under the parking brake for spare change at toll booths and drive-thru windows. I keep all of my pennies in the drop-down tray under the steering wheel. In my glovebox I keep a map, insurance, registration, pencil & paper. I also have a U.S. Atlas on the floor in the backseats. I might just put it in the hatch sometime, but I don't use the backseats often. In the armrest I keep some napkins, cds, phone charger, and a few spare dollars for emergencies.

Last edited:
I'm with Kestas: empty. The only exceptions are my glasses, which my car has a special slot in the console for, a tin of Altoids and an umbrella in the trunk. In the winter, I keep an ice scraper under my seat. There's a towel and tissues on the floor of the back seat, too, but I'm not the one who insists on putting them there.
wink.gif

I have a state map in my drivers side pocket, all the documents in my glove box, and whatever else I need I keep in the trunk. Garbage goes on the passenger floor mat.

Trunk has compartments under the mat. In there I have:
Jumper Cables
Fire Extinguisher
2 Rain Ponchos
2 Emergency Foil Blankets
Matches
Small pieces of dry wood
Spare Headlights
Road Flares
AM/FM Radio/lantern
Tool Kit
Bottle of Water
Power Bar
Black marker
Unbreakable Auto Lock (locks the clutch when parking in a bad area)
ohnoes.gif

Inside the car I have a small first aid kit in the glove box, along with road maps (NJ,PA, and an east coast map.

Radar detector is hardwired to the sunroof controls, and placed above the rearview mirror, so I don't have wires dangling.

Ipod fits into a cupholder & plugs into aux outlet, cell phone fits nicely in the change holder/ash tray.

Baseball bat is also located in the trunk for security.
A glove and baseball are also in there to avoid any trouble with the law.
eek3.gif

Last edited:
There should really be nothing to organize. Leave the impedimentia at home.
Too many people treat their cars as self-storage units.

Quote:

There should really be nothing to organize. Leave the impedimentia at home.
Too many people treat their cars as self-storage units.

Many of us don't consider kleenex, a radar detector, a charger, or some pen and paper impedimentia. On the other hand, I don't like carrying a bunch of tools and supplies around, either.

BMW factory tool kit, detail spray/microfiber towels, change of clothes (contents depending on season), extra bulbs and like. Way too many CDs for 6 disk trunk changer. All in trunk.

Interior-very little: bmw factory rechargable flashlight, charger for cell phone, tire pressure guage, factory maunals and registration/insurance card.

1990 300zx- no extra room whatsoever, can't even fit a 20" BMX in the hatch.

Glove box won't hold much more than just that, gloves. Insurance and registration papers live here, not much else. Locked for security. I pull certain fuses or disconnect the negative battery cable and take the janky connector when parked in sketchy areas.

Center console sometimes holds cds but lately just tire pressure gauge and pens/paper/disposable camera.

Behind seats- windex and scott's blue towels for cleaning windshield, if you drive mostly at night being able to see is good. Try it sometime. Fire extinguisher, and paper bag for trash/receipts.

Hatch area is used for one amplifier and sub(not "bumpin'")
and mexi-poncho as T-top storage. 12v spotlight and 12v air compressor hang out here as well for tire and mechanical duties. Multi-bit screwdriver, 1/4" socket set and 3/8" drive extended flex socket handle for oil changes and stuff lives back here tool.

Ashtray houses coins for toll bridges and the bus if the car takes a dump. Skateboard in case I spend that money on beer. Peace of mind is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back