How do you measure how much oil to add on an off even amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
The .7 is nearly .75 or 3/4 quart.. put in 3.5 qts which is easy to see on the quart bottle and don't worry about it.

This is the best answer

1. Purchase the initial 5 qt container of oil.
2. Change oil and carefully refill with oil until the oil jug shows 1.3 qts remaining. This will require some estimation between 1qt or 0.5 qt incremental marks. You will have added the required 3.7 qts.
3. Save initial jug with 1.3 qts.
4. Next OCI buy a new jug of oil and top off the initial jug to 3.7 qts. Will require estimation as jugs are usually marked in 0.5 or 1 qt increments.
5. Save 2nd jug and repeat steps 3 - 4 for next OCI.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Chris142
The .7 is nearly .75 or 3/4 quart.. put in 3.5 qts which is easy to see on the quart bottle and don't worry about it.

This is the best answer

^^^^^°

I agree.. my lady's Camry is 3.8 qts.... Trifling.

Originally Posted by Blue_Goose
Sounds like a weird question perhaps my brain is not functioning this early but…

In most of my cars especially recent memory ones,the oil fill has always been either been 4, 5 or 6 even quarts.

Requirement for my Civic is 3.7 quarts. How do you accurately measure that? Does the .7 mean ounces?

The picture I am including is obviously from a quart bottle but I will be using the 5 quart jug.

I'm not sure why am having such a tough time comprehending this LOL

Funny is my civic takes 3.7L engine oil

Pennz Plat 0W20 with a Fram Ultra XG7317

Best guesstimate puts it a tad below full

82A94E64-0A1B-4BB9-87A1-A3F5CF1ED2BE.jpeg

64A393DD-DBF7-4E05-A547-2C65DA50A5AA.jpeg

Needed the jaws of life to get the factory filter off. I see the marks on the drain plug and the pan but no way in HE double hockey sticks was it getting tighter than what you see here. Funny thing is that it wasn't that difficult to remove. Washer used was picked up from dealer

36AACAB2-9ADE-42AF-8132-8BEBC77E8754.jpeg

I don't even know the exact amount of oil my cars take. I usually dump in 3 liters, check the dipstick. Proceed to put in oil until its somewhere in the middle of the dipstick between min and max.
Then I let it run for 1-2 minutes and shut it off, the oil gets sucked into the filter and all bores so the oil level goes down on the dipstick to lets say minimum. After waiting some more minutes I check the oil level.

Then roughly knowing where I'm at, I just pour more (the oil travels straight down head into the pan) and stop while pouring some times to check the dipstick. I target something like 70-80% between min and max as the added oil is cold and once it gets to operating temperature it‘ll expand and sit perfectly at the full line.
smile.gif

never had a problem with that so far, if mercedes, renault, toyota or mitsubishi...

If you‘re lazy to check the dipstick that often, just add ~ half a liter less than you‘re supposed to, start the engine and let it run for a bit. Then let it sit, check oil level and top up. Most cars have either 0,5l or 1l between min and max, you‘ll find that out once you top up and see how much the level changes with how much you‘re pouring in...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back