How do you eat your avos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have them sliced with a bit of soy sauce and wasabi. Sometimes I use soy sauce and lemon juice or soy sauce and vinegar.

I also like avos on sandwiches, in tomato salad, and of course I like the ubiquituous salsa with avos!
smile.gif

[ July 14, 2006, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Soy? ewe. Butt whatever.

I grew up on an avocado ranch. My late great uncle Jim Bacon (mom's mom's brother) bred 'cados using tissue culture, etc. He has one named after him, but it was bred to grow a bit further north, not for taste:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

I used to eat nothing but 'cado and bread sandwiches, with some salt and pepper as a poor white kid. Unless it's an oily Fuerte or Hass - I'm not too interested. My parents still have some trees.

We buy avocados here occaisonally, but they are usually rotten, beaten and dissapointing.

Hey, don't knock it before you try it.
wink.gif

I think avocado tasets a bit like egg, at least the good ones that are just right. It's really a fruit, right? Someone claimed it was a nut, but seeing how it's fleshy with a seed inside it should be a fruit. Sort of like a mata.
smile.gif

Your great uncle Jim is THE James Bacon, the avocado king?
worshippy.gif

It'sa fruit.

Yeah, that's him. (I'm related to Sir Francis Bacon as if that does anything for my IRA)

Actually I'm just not a super soy sauce fan (but love Asian foods!) I'll try them with fish sauce. I like 'cado in maki sushi.

I'm related to Doubting Thomas.
wink.gif

Fish sauce? My girlfriend has a nasty fish sauce section in our fridge. Eeek!

I didn't mean to imply you made up anything. I was simply referring to my patron saint, St. Thomas.

I imagine prawnhead sauce will smell worse than shrimp sauce. I'll pass!

I love avocados.

If Im feeling unhealthy, I like to make small cubes and eat them on fritos.

I LOVE those california inspird sandwiches with avocado, turkey, bacon, sprouts, on a seed bread... yum!

The best are the HUGE avocados that we get down in the USVI. Just eat them plain, theyre too good to waste time doing anything else!

JMH

You can't walk down the street here without practically slipping in salsa and guacamole. Gator pears are very popular in our Baja-style Mexican food.

Years ago, they'd usually be black, bruised and nasty by the time they were ripe, but lately they're making it here in very good shape, so I'm eating more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back