How do you dispose of antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dump it down the toilet or sink. Unless you're talking large amounts, then I'm sure there is a hazardous waste disposal site nearby. But regular drain and fill, couple gallons maybe? Down the toilet. Just don't dump it in the sewer.

To my local disposal site, they have a big tank for used oil and a smaller one for antifreeze. All free disposal and self service

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
Dump it down the toilet or sink. Unless you're talking large amounts, then I'm sure there is a hazardous waste disposal site nearby. But regular drain and fill, couple gallons maybe? Down the toilet. Just don't dump it in the sewer.

are you serious??

Take it to your local autoparts. around here pepboys, advance, and napa will all take antifreeze and oil. DO NOT dispose of it in the sink/toilet.

Dump it in the toilet and not the sewer? Where do you think it goes after dumping it in the toilet?

Or am I being trolled and I just fell for it?

It's easy for some waste water treatment plants to separate it, and some municipalities are okay with putting small amounts in the toilet.

Do not, under any circumstances, dump it in the sewer outside. Rain water runoff in the sewer system often does into lakes and rivers untreated.

This is a local issue. Don't rely on strangers on the Internet. Check with your local town or county for proper disposal.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It's easy for some waste water treatment plants to separate it, and some municipalities are okay with putting small amounts in the toilet.

Do not, under any circumstances, dump it in the sewer outside. Rain water runoff in the sewer system often does into lakes and rivers untreated.

This is a local issue. Don't rely on strangers on the Internet. Check with your local town or county for proper disposal.

I stand corrected. Never thought it would be OK to do this. Not sure I would even still with that knowledge, so easy to just recycle it properly.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

are you serious??

Take it to your local autoparts. around here pepboys, advance, and napa will all take antifreeze and oil. DO NOT dispose of it in the sink/toilet.

I highly suggest you check your facts before spouting off. There are a lot of areas where the recommended disposal of used antifreeze is via POTW.

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/27/26530.pdf

The state breakdown starts on page 8.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

are you serious??

I highly suggest you check your facts before spouting off. There are a lot of areas where the recommended disposal of used antifreeze is via POTW.

http://infohouse.p2ric.org/ref/27/26530.pdf

The state breakdown starts on page 8.

Finding that now, its still a poor idea when there are better ways of recycling something like this.

Last edited:
In those municipalities that permit disposal down the drain, it goes into the sanitary sewer. The storm "sewer" out in the street is not acceptable as that water is not processed the same as sanitary sewer water.

Finding that now, its still a poor idea when there are better ways of recycling something like this.

Recycling, yes. But disposing it via the sanitary sewer (where permitted) is not harmful, their processes can easily handle the glycol.

It should go without saying that if you have a septic tank, do NOT dump it down the drain.

I take mine to the transfer station (dump) in town. They have a tank specifically for dumping antifreeze into.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
In your part of town, how do you dispose of coolant/antifreeze?

Pour it down any drain that goes to a sewage treatment plant (eg. toilet). Do not pour in a drain that goes directly to a stream (eg. storm sewer).

Antifreeze is broken down by microorganisms in the wastewater treatment process- to them its not a poison, its just as tasty as sugar or carbohydrates.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Dump it in the toilet and not the sewer? Where do you think it goes after dumping it in the toilet?

Or am I being trolled and I just fell for it?

Nope, you're not being trolled. Just remember how different each municipality might be. Here, the sewage treatment plant can handle it, as was mentioned by others. Our storm drains, however, drain straight into Wascana Lake, and things like antifreeze would be problematic there.

On the other hand, if I was on a farm with a septic tank, I'm not sure I'd be in a rush to flush antifreeze down the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back