How do you cut open an oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerronScott
Any one tried this one?

JEGS oil filter cutter

Scott

Own that one, only it was purchased from Summit. Same cutter though. One drawback to that cutter is filters of 3" or less diameter don't hit the guide wheels so filter ends up rubbing on the cross bar, not hitting wheels. Below is a link showing an example of such an occurrence. HF exhaust cutter works well for all my applications for currently ~$15, less with a coupon.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...tte#Post2058818

Originally Posted By: earlyre
lots of folks like the exhaust cutter tool @ Harbor Freight.

Dropped by Harbor Freight Tools this morning and picked one up. Works great and gets the job done.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Would a handsaw suffice? Or a can opener

Not only will a can opener not open the filter, but you'll end up needing to buy a new can opener. Don't ask me how I know.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Would a handsaw suffice? Or a can opener

Not only will a can opener not open the filter, but you'll end up needing to buy a new can opener. Don't ask me how I know.

Yes, a cheap can opener will work on some filters. I cut open the Premium Guard off of the Odyssey with a can opener, it just took several revolutions to accomplish.

Sometimes I gnaw on the seam until it gives way but I've found that sometimes tooth particles and blood gets on the element so I stick with an exhaust cutter.

Last edited:
Channel locks work great. Just bite along the circumference and once that is done, take a small screw driver to pop off the base plate.. I just opened a Purolator 1 and was surprised at how easy it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back