how do they know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
walmart reported that they are seeing more affluent customers at their stores.

my question is, how do they know that?
are they running ur credit card and looking up ur income filed with the IRS?

Originally Posted By: stockrex

By looking at them. What did I win.

When gas prices started going through the roof I noticed more Cadillac Escapades, Chevy Toohighs and Hummer H2owes in my favorite discount gas station.

Because now the less affluent shoppers are behind the walmart, digging through the Dumpsters.
wink.gif

The credit card people know when you buy cheap oil.

Originally Posted By: XS650

When gas prices started going through the roof I noticed more Cadillac Escapades, Chevy Toohighs and Hummer H2owes in my favorite discount gas station.

LOL.gif
When we first set foot in Aldi my oldest daughter hid her head in her hoodie. Now you can see quite a few upscale SUV's with women dressed to match ..right along side the usual traffic. We appear to be the oddballs in the bunch. We're not fixed income seniors ..nor lower income ..nor upscale over-extended's. We're cherry pickers buying stuff that only differs in price.

Maybe they are just taking polls of who is visiting the stores.

Or maybe they can tell by what your are buying. (see eljefino's post) Or they can get "GENERAL" information about the cardholders whose transactions they process. I.E. they can mine the data and get an average income from the CC companies, but not specifics about any one customer.

Who knows.

Pay cash if it bothers you.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: XS650

LOL.gif
When we first set foot in Aldi my oldest daughter hid her head in her hoodie. Now you can see quite a few upscale SUV's with women dressed to match ..right along side the usual traffic. We appear to be the oddballs in the bunch. We're not fixed income seniors ..nor lower income ..nor upscale over-extended's. We're cherry pickers buying stuff that only differs in price.

I was going to say the same. oilBabe and I were in Aldi Tuesday night. Our Toyota was the lowend vehicle in the place. There were two Cadillacs and an Infinity in the parking lot as well.

We LIKE Aldi. The stuff is good and the produce is typically better than Wal*Mart. So we shop there for certain items.

One of the ways the rich STAY rich is by not overpaying.

I'd rather BE rich than LOOK rich. Most folks merely LOOK rich.

The people you're referring to have the appearance of affluence. They could be affluent or just have managed to secure a car loan.

Quote:

(just a garyism spin
grin2.gif
)

I sorta have the same view from a slightly different angle..

If I'm going to be impotent, I'm going to look impotent.

That's what I said in the last line of my post above.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

And I wonder why I'm still driving an old 1990 4Runner and live in a middle class neighborhood, while others drive overly-blinged newer model pickups and gigantic SUV's and they live in an apartment, collecting welfare. It just makes my blood boil.

[/rant]

Last edited:

And ironically, it is the very need to LOOK rich that prevents them from ever BEING rich.

I still get dogged for buying another Saturn (last year). Why spend $20K on something you don't really want (a large monthly note) when for $7K or so works fine.

Sure it would be nice to have something bigger and "better", but the thing works, gets 36MPG and looks good.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

And ironically, it is the very need to LOOK rich that prevents them from ever BEING rich.

Bingo.

Read Dave Ramsey or the Millionare Next Door. (Or can I recommend the Bible here.) Crown Financial Ministries has good tips on how to manage money as well if you are so inclined.

maybe they have a weighing scale on the flr as u enter they take ur weight.
research shows that the economically poor populatation have poor diet and exercise ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back