How Do the newer Jags Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go with Cousincletus recommendation and test drive a V-8 Northstar Caddy. 2.5 liters is not a luxury car, it's an econobox. An overhead cam, 4 valve Lotus designed engine (The Northstar) with an interior that is second to none and 300 horses to play with (and it still gets over 20mpg) is hard to beat.

quote:

Originally posted by JustinH:
Hey Gang,

I'm looking at buying my first "luxury" car. I've been working my butt off and really want something nice. Nice and cheap also. Under 20k for a used car.

Right now I'm looking at a 02 Jag X-Type with the 2.5 V6. Also a few Stypes with 3.0 and 4.0 motors. How is the reliability of these cars?

Any other luxury cars that run good and get good gas mileage?

I've been a ford guy all my life, thats why I'm focusing mostly on the jags, hehe.

Thanks,
Justin

You can take a look at Car Survey and see what the actual owners/drivers of the vehicles think.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
Like most British cars, the reliability is below average per Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports is highly bias "reporting." If its American, you're reliability is automatically bad. If its Japanese, it's automatically good. If you had one bad year of reliability, they say all years are bad. Good example : Jeep Grand Cherokee. Um... I don't know but I think 85K on a OEM radiator, 70K on an OEM water pump and tune ups every 30K or so isn't unreliable.

Not true its based on Consumer Survey's. And they state that these are their averages are just indicators of predicted reliability. If you read this this means the perenial Honda Accord can be troublesome but the bottom of barrel VW can be problem free.

I would not rely completely on their ratings but no one else really collects this much data. They state every year the gap is narrowing between domestic and Japanese. The domestic brands as a whole have surpassed the European makes.

Good discussion guys!

When I meant Luxury car, I should have mentioned something that does ok on gas. I'm selling my f150 to my father and he can pay for the 25 gallon fillups and the 15mpg.

A baby yuppie car would be just fine for me, I did some reading that the xtype was based on the mondeo platform which is basically a contour. If that doesn't scream econobox I don't know what does.

The search goes on...

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
I think 85k on an OEM radiator is bad. 70k on OEM water pump is bad in my book too. Different choices for different folks.
Tune-ups have nothing to do with reliability in my opinion.

Considering the radiator was 10 years old that water pump was 8 years and looking at the carfax, the car sat for a period of a year for not being driven. Now, knowing those circumstances, not a big deal. On my 94 Jeep, the radiator died due to my mother hitting a piece of tire. As a precaustion, they changed the water pump.... that's the worst of the problems, other than a tranny that died at 135K since the people who changed the fluid used Dextron III instead of ATF+3.

Lets just say the last time that my family used consumer reports to purchase something, we found it to be absolutely worthless and not a "best buy" as they reported.

I've never heard a good explanation as to how Consumer Reports could give two mechanically identical cars with different badges on the trunk and on the front grille different reliability ratings and still be considered a reliable source of that information.

JustinH, have you considered a used 02 or 03 maxima? They will give excellent power and good fuel economy.
Depending on miles a 02 can be had for under 20k.

Having first hand experience with the quality and reliability of Mercedes and Jaguar myself, I concur with Loshio.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
I've never heard a good explanation as to how Consumer Reports could give two mechanically identical cars with different badges on the trunk and on the front grille different reliability ratings and still be considered a reliable source of that information.

I'm not trying to defend Consumer Reports as I don't know much about them, but I understand how two indentical cars with different nameplates could have different build qualities: different levels of quality control. I read somewhere on here that Infinitis recieve something like 50% QC attention that comperable Nissans.

If car A and car B are identical, but car B got 50% more inspection work, chances are car B would leave the factory with fewer defects going undetected (and hopefully fewer problems unrepaired).

In a recent issue of C&D they long term tested a Jag XJ8 I belive and they were impressed on how trouble free it was.

I think Ford turned around Jag and now they are starting to be considered for everyday driving.

If the problems I had with my vehicles had been due to lack of QC at the factory (which presumably only catches assembly mistakes, correct me if I'm wrong), I could see that as being the case.

However, they are not. They are due to engineering problems.

I've never had a single problem with a car that was caused by anything that happened (or didn't happen) in the assembly plant. The problems happened at the engineer's desk, or the manager's desk.

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
In a recent issue of C&D they long term tested a Jag XJ8 I belive and they were impressed on how trouble free it was.

I think Ford turned around Jag and now they are starting to be considered for everyday driving.

It seemed initially that ford solved some of the reliability issues...but made Jags look like Taurus's...

Thankfully the new models seem to have their own identity...

darrell
sin city

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back