How do people identify the HTHS of an oil?

I'm not asking about the test that indicates the HTHS. How does Joe Consumer know what it is? I see people here give the HTHS of a specific weight/brand. I just went to the Mobil1 and Pennzoil sites and on their PDS's they didn't list it.

Is there a list here on BITOG?

If it matters, I'm looking specifically for 30 grades, either 5w or 10w for my cars.

Most brands will give out that information if you ask them for it. I've called Havoline (Chevron) and Mobil 1 and gotten that information over the phone. The only one that doesn't seem to want to give it out is Shell.

If a manufacturer says it's proprietary...

API 5W-30 SN/SN+/SP - Minimum 2.9
ACEA A3 5W-30 - Minimum 3.5
Typical API - 3.0-3.2
Typical ACEA - 3.5-3.6

You do get an occasional blender or manufacturer that will publish exact spec like Castrol Edge - 3.04 or WPP Synthetic (SuoerTech) 3.2. However you can't always take that at face value. Oils at 3.0 may be less shear prone than the 3.2 oils since they have a shear test they have to pass. It's generally better to go by the specifications they meet.

Bedsides that you have manufacturers specs an oil may meet that may require say a 3.8 minimum (Which would likely be a 0W-40 or 5W-40).

That's helpful, I could always go by A3/B3 spec being met, if it is listed.

If a manufacturer says it's proprietary...

API 5W-30 SN/SN+/SP - Minimum 2.9
ACEA A3 5W-30 - Minimum 3.5
Typical API - 3.0-3.2
Typical ACEA - 3.5-3.6

Well all I could find that meets ACEA A3/B3 in the 30 grade was M1 HM 10w30 (A3/B3) and Pennzoil Plat Euro 5w30.

OK well thanks Gene that's certainly a start. ACEA certification sure seems to be more common than listing the HTHS.

I'm not asking about the test that indicates the HTHS. How does Joe Consumer know what it is? I see people here give the HTHS of a specific weight/brand. I just went to the Mobil1 and Pennzoil sites and on their PDS's they didn't list it.

Is there a list here on BITOG?

If it matters, I'm looking specifically for 30 grades, either 5w or 10w for my cars.
Mobil1 does list it.

Standards and specs should be revised by replacing the viscosity grade with HTHS in the form of xWhths.

Examples:
0W3.1 , 5W2.9, 5W3.6, etc.
🎯

Last edited:
Reactions: SR5
Standards and specs should be revised by replacing the viscosity grade with HTHS in the form of xWhths.

Examples:
🎯

Joe Consumer is a moron who barely passed 10th grade math...he's proud of that fact...and decimals will make his brain explode.

Examples:
🎯
I agree, except it should be xW(HTHS x 10), then it would look almost the same.

eg
vanilla M1 5W30 becomes M1 5W31 (an ILSAC grade)
M1 HM 10W30 becomes M1 HM 10W35 (a Euro A3 grade)
and some would even stay the same
vanilla M1 10W30 stays M1 10W30
and Castrol GTX 15W40 stays GTX 15W40

I agree, except it should be xW(HTHS x 10), then it would look almost the same.

eg
vanilla M1 5W30 becomes M1 5W31 (an ILSAC grade)
M1 HM 10W30 becomes M1 HM 10W35 (a Euro A3 grade)
and some would even stay the same
vanilla M1 10W30 stays M1 10W30
and Castrol GTX 15W40 stays GTX 15W40

that's a good idea! That should also resolve the decimal point concerns raised by @PWMDMD lol

iirc, @Shannow was promoting the hths idea long time ago.

Last edited:
I missed it yesterday, but this morning when I went back to find a PDS (which I couldn't find), I did see for the generic M1 HM page (https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...products/products/mobil-1-high-mileage-5w-30/), a few lines down from the top of the Properties and Specifications section, it did list the HTHS, but only for 10w30 and 10w40.

I just looked at the standard (USA) M1 web page, and it’s been updated since I looked last, and I can’t easily find the HTHS values like I could before.

Back