How do I take care of my car? Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, here we go, this is gonna be a long involved post:

I have been trying to learn for years on the proper care of cars. This web site has done more for me in 2 months than anything else. But, I still don't know all that I think I should.

It is hard to get any two people to agree on a schedule for changing ANYTHING, ie: oil, filters, etc etc, and I do understand that, but what I would like to know is what are some CONSERVATIVE rules you should follow for car maintenance?

Here is what i have been doing:
1. Oil change (synthetic) and filter every 3K
2. Air filter every 10K
3. PCV valve every 15K
4. Fuel Filter every 15k
5. New platinum spark plugs & wires every 50K.
6. Complete Coolant flush every 5 years.

BUT, what else needs changed? And how often? When should you do transmission? What about O2 sensors? What else is there?

Keep in mind, I don't mind spending the $$, & I like to change things earlier, rather than squeeze every last drop out of them. This is why I change the oil every 3k, I know you can go longer, but I wanna keep everything conservative.

Where can I go to read about this? I can't trust any mechanic I talk to as I have heard such doozies as, "you don't need to change PCV valves" and, "you don't really need to change spark plugs ever."
shocked.gif

I keep a log book of when I change everything, so tracking isn't a problem. I want to make my car last as long as possible, as I finally have a car I really like.

thank you every one.

EDITED TO ADD:
What about additives? I have already done the AUTO-RX, but what about fuel? When or should I add the bottle of chevron techron? What about FP3000, should I buy that? What about injector cleaner?

I know this is an involved question, but I have been searching for weeks and weeks, and I just can't find everything. Every time I search I learn something new & smack myself on the head because I HAVEN'T been doing it all along. I would like to avoid as much trouble as possible.

Last edited:
I would run the oil out much farther as indicated by UOA. Air filter and PCV valve intervals seem conservative but reasonable. I think that the fuel filter can be run at least twice as long. Plug interval conservative but not insane, wires can easily go 100k in my experience.

Now the coolant, I think 5 years is crazy, regardless of what the manufacturers or some people may say. I'm a 2 year coolant changer regardless of mileage. Cheap insurance, as coolant system failure is one of the most likely things to cause engine failure, and coolant system parts are expensive and generally time consuming to replace. Flush, new coolant with distilled water every two years for me. I've never replaced a radiator or heater core on one of my vehicles due to corrosion.

Sorry, missed your questions...

Tranny, I'm a 30k guy with dino unless the tranny has a bad reputation, then more often. If a cellulose filter is used it should be changed at the same time. I find the screens don't tend to catch much.

O2 sensor, when the mileage falls off or 100k, whichever comes first.

I use FP as a fuel system cleaner and everything runs well. I use a PEA cleaner once in a while as well.

Here's what I've done to many of my previous cars:

Here is what i have been doing:
1. Oil change (synthetic) and filter every 3K
2. Air filter every 9K
3. PCV valve every 30K
4. Fuel Filter every 50k
5. New platinum spark plugs & wires every 90K.
6. Complete Coolant flush every 3 years.

3K for synthetic oil is quite early, but I get peace of mind from it so...end of story there.

I inspect air filters every 2nd oil change and when they have taken on a brown appearance, have leaves and ________ stuck to them, etc. I change them, which has been averaging every 3rd oil change for my vehicles.

A PCV valve is mechanically pretty simple and advanced age or sludge corrosion are the only things I've witnessed to cause them any problems. 15K is a bit early, IMO

Fuel filters are designed to catch a lot of stuff before they become restrictive, and fuel suppliers have come light years in pre-filtering their fuel before it reaches your tank. I've had absolutely no fuel system problems by waiting til 50K and there are people here that may say that's even early.

Platinum plugs are platinum (and expensive) because if your car is kept in otherwise good running condition, they should be able to go 100K before they are done. You're chaning them VERY early.

IMO, coolant is not only responsible for cooling your engine, but lubricating the pump and suspending contaminants. New anti-freeze and distilled water every 3 years isn't unreasonable, and is cheap insurance compared to new cooling system parts.

Depending on the car, brake fluid is getting more and more early change recommendations from car manufacturers. They're claming that the newest ABS systems are sensitive to contaminants and water in brake fluid, so if you have ABS, traction control, or anything else that's using the brake system to do its job, 3-5 years between bleeding might be a good idea. Power steering, IMO can go 5 or more years. I took on a power steering fluid change in my dad's 8 year old truck and saw nothing unusual about the old fluid.

Obviously you take caring for your car very seriously. However, I can't understand changing synthetic oil at 3K and then going 5 years on antifreeze. I change oil often and I go 5K on Group III oil and 6K on Group IV oil.

I change air filters each year, unless its on the K&N or AFE filters, in which case I clean and oil once a year.

I like double platinum or laser platinum plugs and believe they can go a lot longer than 50k. I don't know about the regular platinum plugs and you don't say which you use. I think changing wires that often is a waste of money, wire quality if high and they should be good for well over 100K.

I add a bottle of Chevron techron injector cleaner the last tank before each oil change and I stick to main brand gasolines which are supposed to have better detergents.

I don't know much about PCV valves, except they do get dirty and need to be cleaned or changed at some interval. I go by the manufacturers recommendation.

Transmissions should be serviced according to the severe service schedule.

Don

Seriously? I thought the 'severe service' schedule in the owner's manual would be really conservative. Why not just follow that until you can learn from experience what is good for your driving habits and your car? My guess is that you'll learn to stretch out these early parts and filter (and oil) changes.

Anyway, if there's any salt on the roads you drive, the body will disintegrate around the drivetrain in under 10 years.

There is more to it than fluid changes.

Most important: Check the tire pressures, including the spare, approx every month and check each tire's condition often. Check more often when the temp drops suddenly.

Check the condition of the fuel lines, brake lines, suspension parts & dust covers every oil change.

If you have a pollen filter, change it about every 2 years, unless you drive in dusty conditions, then change it more often.

Wipe the rubber door & trunk seals with something good like 303 Protectant every 3 months.

Wax the car every 6 months.

Use a sun shield on your windshield to protect the dash.

Keep the top of the battery clean.

Get your brakes inspected every year or so. Make sure the calipers are not binding and clean out & manually adjust the rear drum brakes.

If you will share what kind of car you have, then there may be more specific advice that we can offer.

And fix things properly when they break or wear out. Don't buy the $14 alternator, don't rig things up "temporarily", don't use the red tape on the cracked taillight. Fix it right, maintain it well and it will serve you well, and pretty much as long as you want it to. And you'll be proud of it too.

All good advice here. I'd add one more thing: electrical maintenance. A modern car is very much electrical and problems are much easier (and cheaper) to prevent than repair due to diagnostic time and ability. Pay attention to wiring, connectors, etc. Use a good anti-corrosion treatment on connectors every few years. Watch for chafing, burning, etc. Use silicone sheathing to protect the wiring where the factory didn't. Handle all wiring and connectors with care. Inspect fuses, fuse box, alternator wiring, and grounds. Especially grounds.

Cycling connectors and fuses prevents corrosion or better yet use the corrosion treatment. Don't skimp when doing any repairs either. Use good quality electrical parts at all times and never delete seemingly innocuous things like ground straps. Everything electrical on a modern car is there for a reason. This form of maintenance should apply to the entire car. Lighting, power, etc, but especially anything associated with the EFI system.

If you plan on keeping the car a long time doing this will serve you well and takes very little time. Your car will run better, last longer, and you'll have few to none of the often bizzare gremlins that plague cars as they age. I know, I have to hunt down and kill them often. As Doc Brown said in Back To The Future: "This sucker's electrical"!

Forgot. Buy a service manual. Not some cheap imitation but the real McCoy. Learn how your car works. Study it until your eyes roll up into your head. Buy a scan tool if it's OBD II. Invest in a good DVOM and learn how to use it. Nothing will bring you greater pleasure as your car ages than understanding how it works and being able to keep it in top form beyond simple things like fluid changes. Nor will you have to depend on others if things do go south.

Hoses and belts...

QB - for electrical connectors, would you recommend something like DeOxit followed by dielectric grease... or?

I'm fond of an aviation product called ACF 50. Not only an excellent anti-corrosive for electrical but hardware too. It's also the best penertrant I've ever used. Takes the place of many cans in shop. For connecters handling critical or low level signals I use Stabilant 22.

All very good advice. Regarding the coolant, I agree with others who have said 5 years is too long. I actually do mine annually. Overkill, I know, but coolant is cheap. Flushing my systems (both vehicles have the Prestone Flush Kit installed) keeps the systems very clean. And it gives me the opportunity to inspect the rest of the cooling system in detail (hoses, thermostat, radiator), not to mention my undercarriage.
For the time being, I would suggest using your vehicle's severe duty maintenance schedule, and then increase intervals from there. And don't forget little things like wiper blades (annual), washer fluid (change out to whatever season is approriate), rotating tires, greasing any zerk fittings on the suspension, etc.
Also, carry a little tool bag in the trunk containing things like spare headlight and other bulbs, radiator hose repair tape, old drive belts (for temporary use in an emergency), assorted spare fuses, jumper cables or booster pack, flares, emergency lights, etc. And don't forget the tools needed for small roadside repairs. But if you do your maintenance right, you won't need them. Also, with the spare fuses, if your car uses the tiny mini fuses, you might want to carry a few of the regular blade fuses, too. Some items in my car (booster pack, cell phone charger, air horns, extra DC outlet) use the regular blade fuses, even though the car uses the mini's.

Dave

Quote:

If you will share what kind of car you have, then there may be more specific advice that we can offer.

Thank you. & i forgot to add, i do check the air pressure and other things a lot.

I have a 1998 Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 V-6, 138k miles now. I do not have any intake manifold seal problems. This car is the third car I have owned in my entire life. I drove each one until the engine blew up (literally. I tore a connecting rod off the crank shaft in the last one). I want to learn how to take better care of cars, because the NEXT one I own, I want to last a while.

thanks.

>> Wish I could sell you guy's your parts!!!!!

And I wish I could buy a used car from you.

Anyway, while we're on the topic of changing out the coolant, what do you do with the coolant removed? I've always thought that I'd do this more frequently if I had a place to get rid of it. Hundreds of millions of vehicles in this country and I don't know if there is any generally accepted practice regarding this.

I also at regular OEM intervals replace timing belt/chain, tire pressure/rotation, wheel bearings/adjustment, check exhaust system, and actually check nuts/bolts. As stated brake/power steering flushes. I flush my coolant every other year. The place uses a Wynn's flush machine and Prestone antifreeze and recycles the old coolant. There is a kit when used in conjunction with the flush machine restores the Ph and freeze point. The shop uses the recycle antifreeze as top-ups or cheaper flush package. I keep all reciepts and of course log and work on my vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back