How do I hook up a generator to the house panel?

I'm pretty good with electrical, good enough to wire a whole house, panel, outlets, switches, ceiling pot lights, but I have almost no idea how to hook up the small generator I have to run a few a circuits. I know I need a transfer switch. Any sites that has good detailed information?

I have a 3,000 watt generator. I want to run my gas furnace, refrigerator, and TV & cable box. During the summer I'd like to add the AC. Next question, is 3,000 too small with the AC?

Buy one similar to Reliance 306LRK 6-Circuit Transfer Switch Kit P2

Follow the instructions on the model you bought from:

Very easy

I found an excellent diagram on electrical-engineering-portal.com

They are using a transfer switch, I'll also look at an interlock.

I had a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician. It takes a 220V 30 amp power cable between the generator and the transfer switch.

3,000 watts is way too small for your application. My previous generator was 5,500 watts continuous, 6,500 watts surge. The new one I believe is 9,500 watts continuous and 10,500 watts surge.

Isn't turning off your Main Breaker an isolation? And then connect below. (works for me)

Buy one similar to Reliance 306LRK 6-Circuit Transfer Switch Kit P2

Follow the instructions on the model you bought from:

Very easy

+2, these are great and meet code nearly everywhere.

You won't run a central air, but could pull off a 5000 BTU unit for the medroom plus the fridge off a 3k watt unit. And it would be way better on fuel.

+1 on the interlock. Not only cheaper but you can dynamically choose what circuits to leave on provided the generator can handle the load. I can send pics of my setup if needed.

a3k will not run central air. it will run a window unit. it will also run a frige as long as it is on a the correct circuit.

You might be better served using good 12 gauge extension cords.

depending on $$$ as always, setups aside you need CLEAN power for many modern computer controlled things, like some refrigerators washers etc + my inverter welder requires CLEAN power as well, so typical generator is NOT the same as power from utility companies!! clean power generators are costlier + put out less power per $$$ + are inverter styles mostly i believe.

+2, these are great and meet code nearly everywhere.

You won't run a central air, but could pull off a 5000 BTU unit for the medroom plus the fridge off a 3k watt unit. And it would be way better on fuel.

Im able to run my 10k AC unit easily with my 2kW WEN genny. I don’t recall the surge current/Wattage, but the voltage and frequency barely moved, even upon initial start. Genny also sounded fine.

Don’t even think about going into your home wire without switch gear … they will not install a home system without this panel … but they are very expensive … (mine was $500)

For my portable gens, I have these

C8221998-F793-4BAB-9059-01BD7E09143D.png

I did it several years ago after we lost electrical power for 3 days when the outdoor temps were -15 F. Fortunately, we heat, cook, and dry clothes with gas - so the electrical demand of the house isn't great (except for A/C in the summer). I wired a 4-pole receptacle from the garage to the breaker box and installed a main breaker interlock. Works fine and thankfully not needed frequently.

When I researched, I found a blurb somewhere that indicated the interlock must be made by the same manufacturer as the panel (presumably to prevent use of aftermarket, dodgy devices). Fortunately there was a Square-D interlock made to work with my Square-D panel. The literature that came with the interlock is now taped to the door of the panel.

I just use extension cords.
Me too. Haven't had power since Sunday night here where I am and just running my 5000 watt generator to keep the fridge going, along with some other minor stuff. Just bundling up to stay warm. Gas stove for cooking and gas for water heater.

Back