How do I have MORE oil than I did 50 miles ago??

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know by now the rear main seal is leaking on my jeep 4.0 engine. I put some STP stop leak in it before the last oil change, and that did slow it down quite a bit. Anyway...2 days ago (about 50 miles) I made sure the oil was exactly at the full mark so that I could see how bad my leak was. Today I checked it, and the oil is about 1/8" ABOVE the full mark! What the heck?!? Both times it was checked about 15 minutes after using it. I know it's still leaking...there's a small puddle on my garage floor.

I've heard of short-trippers having more oil on the dipstick over time due to moisture and blow-by gasses condensing in the crankcase, which increases the total liquid volume.

[ December 16, 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

Presuming your Jeep was quite close to level at both readings, AND the oil was fully warmed, too (oil, as any substance, will expand in volume as it's heated), something else is either condensing or actually leaking into your sump at a rate greater than the sump's contents are leaking out. I'd be thinking about coolant or fuel. (What's the underside of the oil filler cap look like?) I can't imagine that, even with no air filter, you'd be getting dirt ingestion at a rate that would result in a noiceable rise in oil level in only 50 miles. But, before you panic, you need to re-run the measurements taking into consideration the points I brought up initially.

Now that I think about it, it's probably a leaky injector. Oil smelled pretty gassy last time I changed it. Doesn't really matter now, I totaled it just after I made this post...
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Normal variance..depending on oil temp's at time of shutdown and 15 min. later.

Best accuracy is full hot (normal operation for several mi.) and then shutdown and check first thing in the morning. This will allow all the hot oil to drain down and it will be cold when checking in the morning.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Now that I think about it, it's probably a leaky injector. Oil smelled pretty gassy last time I changed it. Doesn't really matter now, I totaled it just after I made this post...
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sorry about your vehicle, but most of all I hope there were no injuries. You can replace your vehicle much easier.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:

quote:

rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

Sorry about your vehicle, but most of all I hope there were no injuries. You can replace your vehicle much easier.

Thanks...I'm gonna be typing with one hand for a few days, but other than that everything's fine.
smile.gif
pat.gif

quote:

rolleyes.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif

As long as you are still healthy(mostly),all is good.
frown.gif

Mark
offtopic.gif
Terry can read your blood-work for you!
grin.gif

[ December 17, 2003, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

ZmOz,

Thanks for the good news and glad you are doing good. Worried for a while. Let us know how it goes.

smile.gif

quote:

Think I can pound this out?
grin.gif

-

-

(that's the front axle...in two peices)

shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif

A little bit of ducktape and...

Glad to see that you're ok though. It may be fixable, but it'll never drive the same.

Yea, WOW! I hope you have full coverage insurance, cause if the unibody is bent, you may be SOL. Mind explaining how that happened? Wrecks always suck
mad.gif

Thanks alot guys.
smile.gif
I was on a dark, curvey road and it was pouring down rain. Some ******* didn't turn down his brights, and there was no fog line for me to look at on the side of the road. The road was very narrow, and as soon as the pavement ends a really deep ditch starts. Went into the ditch, out again over someone's driveway, through a pile of boulders, into another ditch and through another pile of boulders, stopping about 2 feet from a very large tree.
rolleyes.gif
This morning my neck really hurts...think I'm gonna have to go to the doctor now...
pat.gif

ZmOz ,
Nobody cares about the Jeep anymore.Get yourself checked-out ASAP.Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mark

Don't worry...the fireman wouldn't let me leave until he checked me out. Just a little sore now...need some heavy pain killers.
smile.gif

ZmOZ,

Glad you're ok, but a good body and frame man can do wonders. Get well first and then worry about the metal later.

So I guess there will be no justice for the idiot that couldn't turn his brights off
mad.gif
I drive a lot of two lane highway here in the mountains, and nothing makes me angrier driving when someone won't click their brights off. Makes me wish I had about 6 KC million candle power daylighters on my Corolla to give right back at em
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
So I guess there will be no justice for the idiot that couldn't turn his brights off
mad.gif
I drive a lot of two lane highway here in the mountains, and nothing makes me angrier driving when someone won't click their brights off. Makes me wish I had about 6 KC million candle power daylighters on my Corolla to give right back at em
lol.gif

Nope...idiot didn't even slow down when I hit the ditch either. Whatever I'm driving next will have some "extra brights" to flash at those who fail to dim.
wink.gif

Isn't is a Jeep owning prerequisite to have a huge light bar on the roof with four (4) PIAA's? hahaha, J/K. Hope you're ok man, car's can always be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back