How do I get grease in this fitting?

2002 4Runner front of driveshaft. I can't get my grease gun nipple in there. I can get the other two. Do I need some kind
of special nipple? It looks like it should fit but I am getting frustrated. I think I have only been greasing the other two fittings.

Attachments

• IMG_5341.jpg
    IMG_5341.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 149

This.

I wouldn't expect a needle to work well, since it's still a ball check valve style nipple w/o any boot to get the needle down into.

2002 4Runner front of driveshaft. I can't get my grease gun nipple in there. I can get the other two. Do I need some kind
of special nipple? It looks like it should fit but I am getting frustrated. I think I have only been greasing the other two fittings.
Does your grease gun have an extension pipe with coupler or a flexible hose with coupler?

Looking at the pic, it seems like a flex hose coupler would get that. But the pic may be deceiving.

maybe my needle isnt your needle I mean this style.. (see video)
not the kind you grease through rubber boots with
It will activate the fitting just doesnt lock on.

Agreed, that could work better than some more traditional style "needle" nozzles, but still looks like it will depend on exact size match with the check valve ball or rather that it isn't an exact match (depresses ball but still a gap around it) so there is space around it for grease to flow. It just seems like a cup style adapter is a more universal solution.

Agreed, that could work better than some more traditional style "needle" nozzles, but still looks like it will depend on exact size match with the check valve ball or rather that it isn't an exact match (depresses ball but still a gap around it) so there is space around it for grease to flow. It just seems like a cup style adapter is a more universal solution.
I use an all steel needle on hard to reach fittings like the one in the op and it works fine - better than one would think.

I'm gonna try a needle simply because I can find one in stock for about $15 after I spin the shaft a little to see if it opens up the "hole"

I just can't grind down the nozzle. That would work but I just can't do it. I guess I'm too sissy....

Does the needle hole in the dust boot need to be sealed with something after so it doesn't leak.

There is no dust boot, it is a u-joint. The needle we are referring to is not to pierce a boot, it is to reach tough to reach grease fittings. Usually they are flat fittings (pictured) but they also work on regular ones.

663116d1377977542t-grease-bottom-ball-joint-krp-grease-fitting.jpg

Well, guess what? I was able to jack up one wheel and turn the driveshaft and get to all 3 nipples. I could barely get the nipple out. I had to jerk and twist and jerk. Thank y’all for your advice.

Back