how do i get a towing company to tow vehicles on my property?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have lived in this same area for over 30 years . i have an area on the side of my home that is dirt and grass with no sidewalk or curb. its never been much of an issue in the past , but there has been so many multi story housing built close to me in the last few years that parking is getting scarce.

people have been parking on the side of my house in that dirt area. the area is clearly my property . i have asked nicely and left notes .sometimes it works most of the time not. i have nicely told some of the people to i have seen parking to not do so. as it my property. most of the time its met with a FU .

i want to keep the area clear for guest and family. i am so tired of dealing with it , i want to start towing the vehicles . I have always been curious on how this would work. do i just call a tow company and tell them to come and hook them up? anyone know how a tow company works in this situation?

If you just call the tow company, I think you'd be liable for the bill. Can you rope off the area and post some Private Property or No Trespassing signs? If towing really is the only option, I'd start by checking with the local police and getting their input.

If you just call the tow company, I think you'd be liable for the bill. Can you rope off the area and post some Private Property or No Trespassing signs? If towing really is the only option, I'd start by checking with the local police and getting their input.
seeing it 3:50 am here and there a couple of cars parked there now its irritating me that i can't sleep.LOL. i want to keep that area open for my guest and family to use so roping or blocking it off won't work.

i am planning on calling a tow company to see what they have to say in the morning. The police in my area is useless when it come to parking enforcement .

No parking/private property/no trespassing sign etc.. You may need to put up some sort of barrier like bushes or a fence. Towing companies will just tow whatever car is there and that could be your guests.

This depends on local laws. First, the area a certain distance from the road center may be part of the right of way and the public is allowed to park there, even though it is just dirt and it looks like part of your yard. If that's not the case you will need to post signs that specifically mention "Private Property -- No Parking -- Violators Will be Towed". If the sign doesn't say towing you can't tow them. Then when someone parks there, you can call almost any towing company and they will remove the car. There is no money to or from you, if it is a legal tow the company can hold the car until the owner pays.
Towing companies will just tow whatever car is there and that could be your guests.
In my state it was illegal for a tow truck to go around patrolling for cars. They could only tow in response to a specific complaint from the property owner. This was an issue in apartment complexes where the residents had stickers allowing them to park. Someone would be delivering pizza or making a quick drug deal and get towed away instantly.

Last edited:
Talk to the manager of a local apartment complex to find out who they use. Then check your local ordinances to determine the sign requirements in your area. They must be in a certain design, size and height, with contain the towing contact info, and information specific to who pays the towing cost. Placement location also matters. Sign a service contract with the towing company, mount your signs, and be ready for the next dumb dumb to park there.

Back in college we occasionally see an unknown car in our fraternity house parking lot. We'd either put a note on the that the lot was private and not to park here again or call a tow truck if it was blocking a brother's car.

For the OP's situation, I'd call the police and see what my options are.

My city police can't tow a vehicle from private property unless it stolen or blocking the roadway. Abandoned cars sometimes would block the roadway late at night.

do i just call a tow company and tell them to come and hook them up?
Call them and ask a) will they do it on your private property and b) who will they charge ? I'm pretty sure that they just lock the vehicle up in their yard and the owner has to pay the tow charge and any storage charges. I do wonder if they would want to see proof that you own the property in cases where it may not be real obvious.

I would still involve the police or sheriff to atleast have a record of the problem before the vehicle(s) are towed away. After that, I would have some large landscape rocks placed along your property line where they park. If this is rental property next to you, maybe a call to the landlord is in order too.

As a cop in NY in a small city which had woefully underdeveloped parking situations, we ran into these issues often. We could not ticket as it was private property. Owner could have a car towed at any time, but was responsible for the bill if the owner did not pick up the vehicle from the tow company. This part is 100% civil and zero police can do.

It was customary and a very good idea to notify the local police. Owner of a towed vehicle would often call or walk in stating their vehicle was "stolen." So much better to have the local fuzz let the owner know it was towed and the location of the vehicle is XXX. Saves the homeowner the anger and the notification of it will cost YOU Mr./Mrs. owner to get it back.

Reactions: GON
Around here , if the vehicle is clearly on your property you can have it towed . The vehicle owner is on the hook for towing , and storage if it's not claimed immediately .The Police have no involvement unless somebody decides to get stupid .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back