how do I figure out how much this costs to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms oxygen generator.it uses 400w 24/7. Its on constantly. We teeter between tier 3 and 4 on the electric bill. Tier 3 is $.28 and tier 4 is $.32.

How do I figure out what its costing us per month?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My moms oxygen generator.it uses 400w 24/7. Its on constantly. We teeter between tier 3 and 4 on the electric bill. Tier 3 is $.28 and tier 4 is $.32.

Priceless, it keeps your mum alive
smile.gif
I would pay lots to keep my mum alive.

Is your mum going to pay you for power or just curious?

Average 30c per KWH, .4KW per hour consumption.

0.4 x 24 hours = 9.6 KWH consumption per day.
30c per KWH x 9.6 = 288 cents per day.
288 cents x 30 days = 8640 cents per month, or $86 per month

HOWEVER, without using a "Kill-a-Watt" meter and clearly understanding real world energy consumption. A quick google search shows that they typically use a bit less.

Sorry to hear your electrical power is so expensive. Here in South Florida, we now pay 12c per KWH.

Last edited:
24 hours X 30 days is 720 hours/month

720 * 400 watts is 288000 watts or 288 kw.

At .28 that would be $80.64
At .32 it would be $92.16

Average it out, call it .30 and it's $86.40

I had no idea electricity was so expensive anywhere here in the US.

maybe run a generator, it might be cheaper.

No way is a generator cheaper. Maybe look into some solar but that's not cheap to install.

I'm just trying to figure out usage.our bill will go up 18% jan 1st. I've already got the low usage lights and I turn them off when not used.
Water heater and well pump are electric too.

Bill is running $220 a month. I looked into solar yesterday but they can't access the attic to install panels and I can't find anybody to do ground mounts

Can you get a gas water heater? The electrics are energy hogs. At least wrap some foil backed bubble wrap around it.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Can you get a gas water heater? The electrics are energy hogs. At least wrap some foil backed bubble wrap around it.
I'm on propane. Wonder what it would cost to plum one in? Propane delivered is roughly $4 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Priceless, it keeps your mum alive
smile.gif
I would pay lots to keep my mum alive.

Is your mum going to pay you for power or just curious?
whoever has the cash pays the bill

You need to figure the KWH charge separate from the faculty charge. Don't know how you are billed. Some charge a flat hook up fee. Mine breaks it all down but it's $40 a month just to have the meter.

I'm on propane. Wonder what it would cost to plum one in? Propane delivered is roughly $4 a gallon.

Not much to run a gas line. They use plastic now. The propane company may even do it for you if you buy the water heater from them. New propane heaters are around $400-$500 though. And you will need a vent.

The best are 90% efficient and use plastic vents. But they tend to run over $1000.

I had a 500 gallon tank installed a couple of years ago as I was upgrading to propane heat. They installed the tank for free and there is no monthly charge for it.

You need to figure the KWH charge separate from the faculty charge. Don't know how you are billed. Some charge a flat hook up fee. Mine breaks it all down but it's $40 a month just to have the meter.
Correct, you have to look at all the add ons. Taxachusetts just went up 37 percent on the entire bill. Those not paying attention were shocked (no pun) to say the least.

Last edited:

I would try offsetting the drain by switching to led lighting around your home until you have made up for the 400w. I did that for my 700w roof de-icing cable. Also, only use major electric appliances independent of each other when possible. Wash & dry in the daytime or late at night when no lights are on.

Do not run oven, dishwasher, dryer, cooktop at the same time. We have changed our habits (which is free)and noticed our electric bill is about 20% less for the same services. Put a timer on your electric hot water heater to come on at 4:00am while everyone is sleeping then off at 5:00am and on again at 3:00pm to 4:00pm. You won't know the difference and will keep it off at peak hours.

Keep your AC coil clean and make sure the freon/puron is topped up. Change the air filter to a less restrictive one.

We found we could reduce our consumption by about 1200W with lighting alone.

Last edited:
Wabbout a solar HW heater to take the a bit of the energy nut away? Can you create an attic access from the outside to accomade a roof top solar install. I hate voids in a house . They are always where the problems lie. The attic over the 12x12 ell was such a case until I made a cladboard hatch in the gable end.

Chris,you strike me as a capable guy. House carpentry isn't rocket surgery. It is mostly common sense.The more you DIY, the better off you will be. The battery plant that solar needs, presents you with a system, that allows to charge those batteries with regular electricity or a stand by genset. That is how a telephone central office powers their equipment. A CO can lose power and service will stay up until it is restored.May be a small scale plant could be fabbed that is dedicated to medical equipment , not the entire house?

So if you use more you get bumped up a tier or down one? Eg if you get into tier 4 by using more it's like being in a higher tax bracket?

Is your PoCo trying to get you to conserve or are they saying the first watt is the most expensive b/c they have to keep up the wire to your meter?

Do you have a smart meter? Can you log in to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back