How dirty do your work vehicles get?

Depends on the season and where I need to roll out to. Mine can stay clean for a while but other times I will have them covered head to toe with mud. Inside and out.

I havent washed my personal vehicle (2012 F150) in over a year. Just alot of road dust, I love doing any kind of maintenance and repairs and its maintained like a top, but when it comes to washing and waxing a vehicle I have zero interest. I rather pay one of my friends to do a too notch cleaning job, which reminds me I need to get it to him soon.

Not mine. All that filth makes everything wear out amazingly quick. Like sandpaper every time you move
I agree. I washed the truck in my driveway 1-2 times a week but when it's below freezing I think washing is worse. People only do it because they can't stand looking at the dirt. Ice can most likely do as much damage as the dirt.

Also if you get it covered in mud/dirt before the salt is laid down it could possibly be less prone to corrosion, my mind isn't made up on that one yet though.

I know but I’m a stickler for a clean vehicle 🙂. Except when I’m mudding with my friends or something i then wait for it to dry and clean it off. But absolutely nothing can be in the cab or floor I go nuts.
That’s like a man in a suit saying he feels sad for you cause your hands are dirty from working on cars. Dirty hands create hard earned clean money.

I havent washed my personal vehicle (2012 F150) in over a year. Just alot of road dust, I love doing any kind of maintenance and repairs and its maintained like a top, but when it comes to washing and waxing a vehicle I have zero interest. I rather pay one of my friends to do a too notch cleaning job, which reminds me I need to get it to him soon.
I'm the same way. I've always been pretty good about mechanical maintenance, but washing a car is one of those things I dont care about. Even when I was young, cleaning a car was never on my priority list.

My 84 Cutlass gets washed pretty quickly when it's dirty, because it bothers me seeing it dirty. The truck is a losing battle keeping it clean. Another reason not to buy a new truck, besides the higher repair costs, depreciation, etc.

My 84 Cutlass gets washed pretty quickly when it's dirty, because it bothers me seeing it dirty. The truck is a losing battle keeping it clean. Another reason not to buy a new truck, besides the higher repair costs, depreciation, etc.
In my opinion, you wont buy a new one that's as good as GM's GMT600. The GMT400 that preceded it was a great truck, and possibly my favorite series of pickups, but the 600 was GM getting everything right. Keep it as long as you can, they dont build them to last anymore.

In my opinion, you wont buy a new one that's as good as GM's GMT600. The GMT400 that preceded it was a great truck, and possibly my favorite series of pickups, but the 600 was GM getting everything right. Keep it as long as you can, they dont build them to last anymore.
You mean GMT 800, but yes my experience has been that. I drove this truck for years as a company truck and it was the owners personal truck when I started 10 years ago, then bought it a year ago instead of the boss replacing it. He's happy to see it still going. Very few issues or downtime.

You mean GMT 800, but yes my experience has been that. I drove this truck for years as a company truck and it was the owners personal truck when I started 10 years ago, then bought it a year ago instead of the boss replacing it. He's happy to see it still going. Very few issues or downtime.
You are correct. It is indeed a GMT 800. I forgot the 600 was the van chassis. At any rate, I've worked on a lot of those trucks(mostly maintenance) for plumbing and HVAC repair companies and most of them were put on back up duty or relegated to parts trucks with at least 400k miles on the clock. I know of two locally still going with close to 500k on them now. They, like anything else, have their quirks, but overall probably the best truck GM ever built.

Clean em on company time. A clean commercial truck shows pride in your work.

DEDK8477.jpg

Clean em on company time. A clean commercial truck shows pride in your work.

View attachment 48130
Unfortunately I'd be spending half my company time cleaning and not getting jobs done. I don't think it reflects too badly on me when all the clients I deal with see me marching through all the mud on the site. It's a fight I can't win for a good portion of the year until it gets dry.

I only wash the outside once a year and that’s when it gets professionally detailed ( I cannot get the salt out of the carpets so I let them do it plus the entire car ). After that, I just clean the inside about once a month. I gave up on waxing 25 years ago.

When living in the desert my cars rarely got really dirty; dusty yes but full on dirt, no. Now, I live in Texas and geez cars get dirty here. Rain, fog, pollution and plain ‘ol general slop are the order of the day. Bugs too...

My 2019 Ram looks like yours... I’ll get it washed to get any remaining salt off it it probably this weekend. My kids also drew in the dirt on the sides of it, not sure what a bunch of circles mean but it made me smile.

Back