How difficult is it to rebuild an old manual transmission?

Just like the title says. Been wondering if that would be a difficult task, have been looking at potential project cars for a little bit now. Some have broken manual transaxles that would need rebuilding. Does anyone have experience with that? Potential resources?

I've been looking at an 89' Toyota Corolla in particular lately.

Thanks.

There are typically specialized tools required for transaxles to ensure proper bearing preload, gear patterns, and end play. Then a press and bearing cages to press off/on bearings.

If however you are willing to tackle a manual trans from a conventional rear wheel drive car you won’t need the specialized tools most likely. Having a press is very helpful but a set of feeler gages, snap ring pliers, brass drifts, service manual, good source for parts (small parts, gears, synchronizers) and patience will ensure success.

It's pretty simple if you're just going to do a bearing swap and not bother with setting thrust clearances, etc.. Pulling bearings off of shafts isn't too difficult. The difficult ones to R&R are typically on the differential.

Depending on how old the car is and how long the transaxle was used in a particular model or models, the availability of parts can be a nightmare. Bearings and seals are easy to find. It's the replacement gears/synchros/shims/thrust washers that can be hard to come by. IMO, you kind of have to be satisfied with just getting close as possible to a 100% rebuild.

The 5-speed in the Legend is long over due for a tear down. I'm finding I have to keep the revs up when upshifting; double clutching when down shifting is required. Rebuild kits are available but they don't come with synchros, just bearings and seals. Companies that provide rebuild kits used to get synchros direct from Honda but they've been long discontinued.

I've been looking for hard parts for years. I did find on ebay, an OEM Honda, 2nd gear, gear set just for the synchros. A few years later, I found a full set of synchros. Now I just need to find the enthusiasm to do the job.

gear set 2nd_b_1.jpg
synchro set.jpg

The Ford top loader 3 and 4 speeds were ones I didn’t enjoy. Saginaw, Muncie, and Borg Warner were much the same. Never did any of Mopar New Process.

Kit sources:

Seems that Drivetrain is the go-to for the Legend crowd (we're slowly becoming extinct).

Forget to mention the needle bearings. If needed, unless these are common catalog (NTN, SKF, etc.) items, these will probably have to come from the dealer parts counter.
Untitled.jpg

I’m old… At one time needle bearings came in a small parts kit. Now sold separately. Just me and my opinion but I’d check the salvage yards for a unit and build it for a quick exchange. Otherwise if your car is apart awaiting parts you’ve got a mess.

Back