How did you really feel about your first car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine was a 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix, 2 tone seafoam green, no shine left on it. The grey fabric was worn through to the foam on most of the seats. Got voted the worst car in the highschool parking lot, but lots of people got rides to parties in it. Never broke down on me. My 86 Honda xl250 I also had at the time was a major lemon and I couldn't count on it anymore so I drove the grand Prix until I was going to college (50 minute highway drive each way) my parents forced me to buy another car since the frame and trunk were rusted out in the Pontiac.

I replaced it with an 87 olds Cutlass and have been driving the same type of car since the grand Prix (on the 3rd one now, finally a keeper).

The grand Prix was a beat up piece of junk with no options, and underpowered 231 v6 but I loved it more than anything at the time.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
1978 Chevy Monza with the miserable 2.5, bought in 1986. Thankfully, a 4-speed. That car nickeled and dimed me to death, which sucked on a Burger King paycheck. You name it...it broke at some point before I finally got to ditch it for a '86 Civic Si. A world of difference there.

Gotta comment on this....I had the 'next version' of this car, the '85 Skyhawk (the Cavalier et al replaced the Monza et al), and it gave me nothing but problems as well.

I traded mine on a 1986 Honda Civic (non-Si though) as well! LOL!

Always liked the J Skyhawks, until they attempted popup headlights.....not pretty. Very much a "Jumping the Shark" move by Buick. The Z-28 Cavaliers and Turbo Sunbirds got all the attention where I grew up.

A 3.8 Skyhawk was almost my first car, but the clutch pedal was at the end of its travel before the clutch engaged, so my Dad said "Pass". Seemed to be a much better engine than the 2.5, which made a lot more noise than it did speed.

Red on red ‘66 Mustang. Straight six, 3 speed stick, and factory air. Looked cool but slow as molasses. Bought when I was fifteen and restored to be ready when I was 16. Couldn't drive a clutch after knee surgery as a senior so I got an 88 Mercury Tracer from budget rentals retired fleet. Lost both in a flood later my senior year. Was just thinking of the ‘82 Volvo 240 that I got then and took me off to college. Loved all of them and remember each of their quirks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back