How did you really feel about your first car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most people were ecstatic when they got their first car; it was the best thing in the world that gave you freedom like never before. Some people got exactly what they wanted as their first car, so it was easy to feel that way. However, even though some people got the freedom of a new car, it wasn't what they wanted - they had to 'settle' for a hand-me-down, or their budget limited them to something they didn't really want to drive.

How did you REALLY feel about your first car? Was it what you wanted?

My first car was a 1985 Buick Skyhawk 4-door sedan in two-tone blue with a blue velour interior. I was a die-hard GM guy, and a bit of a snob at the time, so believe it or not, I bought a Buick because I thought if you 'stepped up' to a Buick, you got a better car than a Chevy. Yeah, I was that shallow and silly in my thinking. I thought it showed that I had made a 'dignified' choice and that I hadn't settled. I know, I know....

I was thrilled with my car for probably about the first year I had it, It was comfortable and quieter that 'lower' models. However, it definitely wasn't any more reliable. I couldn't admit I had made a mistake; so I shovelled money at it to keep it on the road, and then suddenly realized it was never going to be a good car, so I dumped it for a Civic, and never touched another GM product for 10 years. I was mad at myself about that car for a long time, but I now realize I never would have made another decision at the time...I was so determined to have a small Buick....

A 78 buick regal 2 door. Loved the room and the big bumpers. Rode so smooth especially when switched to radials.

This is a 77, but almost the same, mine had a black top.

[Linked Image from car-from-uk.com]

My first vehicle was a brand new 1996 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab, 2wd, 5 speed. It had no a/c, no p/s and didn't come with a radio. I bought it with my own money. I loved it. Drove it everywhere. Wished it had a/c and p/s but otherwise it was a great truck.

'94 Maxima for me.

In all honesty, I wasn't super in to cars at the time. I appreciated having my own car and made good(responsible) use of it, but traded it 4 years later for the first car I really fell in love with.

About a year ago, I started feeling nostalgic and thought I'd try to find another, but also look for the full "sport" trim version(with a manual, of course, not an auto like mine had). I've noticed that over probably the past 5 years, that once-ubiquitous generation of Maxima basically has disappeared from the roads, and a few weeks of hunting didn't turn up any hits really on any trim level for me in any kind of reasonable condition. The few that I did find were rust buckets, which makes me think that that's probably what happened to a lot of them. Mine didn't have any significant rust in 2008(the paint/clear coat looked terrible, but that's a different story) but rust wasn't really a problem. I guess 10 years has changed things in that respect.

I loved it. Bought it when I was 16 in January 2011. 1996 Chevy C1500 Silverado 5.7L Vortec with 144k miles. Got it from my dad's neighbor for $700, he bought it new and it was pretty well taken care of. Just needed brakes and a new battery. That truck ran awesome, sold it December 2013 for $2,600 with 159k miles because being in college, it wasn't too good on gas.

Mine was a 1966 Chevelle SS396. Marina blue with bucket seats and console, 4 speed Muncie with 411 gears, bought used in 1969. Within a year it had acquired a Crane solid lifter cam with a 546 lift, Hooker headers and a Holley 750 double pumper carb. Oh yeah....I loved that car!

1953 black Mercury--bought late '64 or early '65. Last of the flat head eights. Turn signals didn't work so safety inspector took a hacksaw and cut off the turn signal. Lived in South Dakota and people accused me of getting it on the rez, had that kind of look.

When I bought it, the salesman warned me to not drive it over sixty. I was driving it to Denver and it heated up in the Badlands, must have been over 100. Got the speed up to 85 and it cooled off.

Broke down in Sauk Center Minnesota and the local Ford dealer pulled a Ford in (think it was a year later with an OHV engine) kludged a new transmission into a car never designed for it and charged me $50 for the rebuild.

Got rid of it in the summer of 1966. Held on to it until after the annual demolition derby and traded it in for a '62 Fiat 600. That's another story.

81 Volvo 245DL

Hated it with ever ounce of my being.
It was slow, rusted out, and lame as heck (seriously, I wasn't getting any action from that ride )
cry.gif

Though on the bright side, I did put it thru it's paces with driving situations that almost ended my life and I came out totally unscathed!
grin.gif

Originally Posted by spasm3
A 78 Buick regal 2 door. Loved the room and the big bumpers. Rode so smooth especially when switched to radials.

This is a 77, but almost the same, mine had a black top.

[Linked Image from car-from-uk.com]

I had the same car except in gold with beige landau roof. The V8s hauled [censored]
and could burn rubber 1/2 way down the block. It had 120k miles on it but I LOVED the
SEX CRUISER as my college friends called it. It was special to me and even though I bought other cars and moved, I always dragged the sex cruiser with me whenever I moved and kept it till I finally had to make the BIG move cross country. I sadly parted with it. I actually last year tried to find it thru DMV last year, no luck. The problem with kids these days is that they don't give a [censored] about ANYTHING. They don't fall in love with cars as we did. Honestly, if I found a 77 Regal in Excellent condition, I would buy it

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I loved it. Bought it when I was 16 in January 2011. 1996 Chevy C1500 Silverado 5.7L Vortec with 144k miles. Got it from my dad's neighbor for $700, he bought it new and it was pretty well taken care of. Just needed brakes and a new battery. That truck ran awesome, sold it December 2013 for $2,600 with 159k miles because being in college, it wasn't too good on gas.

Forgot to post a pic
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by rhandle
The problem with kids these days is that they don't give a [censored] about ANYTHING. They don't fall in love with cars as we did. Honestly, if I found a 77 Regal in Excellent condition, I would buy it

That is not true at all.

They might be a little less interested, but plenty of people in my generation enjoy cars.

74 Plymouth Scamp (same as Dodge Dart). 225 slant six and drum brakes all around. Paid too much at a used car dealer, had it about 2 years when a lady pulled out in front of me.

Liked it initially but it had lots of little issues that became annoying. It was a blessing it got totaled.

first car

I got scammed it was a lemon
endless problems endless I spend like 6-7k in repairs in the time i had it almost everytime i turned around I had to drop another 3-500$

it was
15.gif
the only thing that worked great were the brakes AFTER I PAID 500$ in repairs

second car had issues brake got rid of it quickly\ (the person who bought it wreaked it shortly afterwards).. death trap

third car more issues I'm fighting the dealer i bought it from might have to go to small claims court Smog issues and brake issues (they sold it with faulty brakes)...
mad.gif

Last edited:
1992 Chevy Lunima Euro with the 3.1L, bought Dec '98 with 73k miles. Loved that car. Did some really stupid things in it that should have gotten me killed (like spinning out on a curve back road going 75, or hitting 117 on a different bumpy but straight back road at night). Got rid of it in Jan 2004 with about 120k on it for my grandpa's 1995 Mazda B4000 pickup (basically a loaded Ranger).

1969 VW Bug, in 2006. I loved that car but there was something wrong with the carb that no one could figure out, it would run like crap unless I let it warm up for several minutes before driving and seemed to hit a wall power-wise between 2k-3k rpm and then was fine. My mom convinced me to sell it when I went to college and she gave me her 2002 Corolla (which seemed great at the time because it had A/C but I quickly realized was a complete POS) but I still wish I still had it sometimes.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

68 chevy nova. 6 cyln , no p/s or brakes ,looked good but had more problems than you could shake a stick at...drove it for about 6 months then traded it for a 74 nova 350 auto . had all the toys loved that car wish I had it today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back